Tornado and storm damage how to help

Discussions about weather around the world. Local Storm Warnings, National Weather Discussion, Tornado's, Hurricane's, Tsunami, Global Warming, Weather Predictions, Weather Folklore, Weather Photography.

Re: Tornado and storm damage how to help

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Isolationist wrote:Well, eastern Kentucky made the national news after Friday's devastating tornadoes. Unfortunately, of all the videos uploaded to the world wide web, the new media has focused in an some stupid hillbilly woman, speaking in tongues with a speech impediment, claiming to be praying away the funnel cloud (before touchdown) in West Liberty, KY. What a damn idiot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRvPKvJksNQ

I think her prayer worked. She asked for GOD to take it away from their home, and town. It's my understanding that she lived in a different community/town than West Liberty.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby guesser » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 am

hey if you dont understand religions I would not be talking bad about it. FOR one
the woman evidently has the gift of tounges and was using them rebuking the storms that
were headed her way. More power to this woman who was doing so. No she wasnt
an idiot , SHE must have been a true child of GOD. dont ridicule peoples religion,
guesser

Postby Protagonist » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 am

guesser wrote:hey if you dont understand religions I would not be talking bad about it. FOR one
the woman evidently has the gift of tounges and was using them rebuking the storms that
an idiot , SHE must have been a true child of GOD. dont ridicule peoples religion,

First of all, if I choose to openly ridicule someone for their "beliefs" (not religion), that is my constitutionally protected right. Secondly, there is no such thing as having "the gift of tongues". Spouting out useless blather in an unrecognizable dialect doesn't mean someone is blessed with some supernatural gift. That's absolutely ridiculous to even suggest. I suppose next you're going to tell me that there is proof that the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause exist as well, right? Last, just because the woman carried on foolishly while the camera was rolling does not, in any way, provide any sufficient proof that she was a "true child of GOD". If you choose to foolishly buy in to this notion that she has some supernatural gift from God to somehow rebuke the storm and steer it away from her home and community, then my friend, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you for a fantastic price.
Protagonist

Postby clark bailey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Isolationist wrote:
guesser wrote:hey if you dont understand religions I would not be talking bad about it. FOR one

First of all, if I choose to openly ridicule someone for their "beliefs" (not religion), that is my constitutionally protected right. Secondly, there is no such thing as having "the gift of tongues". Spouting out useless blather in an unrecognizable dialect doesn't mean someone is blessed with some supernatural gift. That's absolutely ridiculous to even suggest. I suppose next you're going to tell me that there is proof that the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause exist as well, right? Last, just because the woman carried on foolishly while the camera was rolling does not, in any way, provide any sufficient proof that she was a "true child of GOD". If you choose to foolishly buy in to this notion that she has some supernatural gift from God to somehow rebuke the storm and steer it away from her home and community, then my friend, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you for a fantastic price.

I don't believe in the Pentecostal theology as well, but perhaps brother there is a more tactful way of refuting the theology, or more crrectly put, heresy. I'm sure that you and agree almost 100% ( almost) on religion but I must use my constitutionaly protected right to say more tact should be used. I say that in nothing but Christian love good sir.

I also say that I have taught my child St. Nicholas exists....:) :)

That being said, I don't believed she rebuked the storm either, but I do believe God was merciful as He was to us.
clark bailey

Postby RAP » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Well said Clark. As you know I too do not believe in the belief of speaking in tongues. It was a miracle performed by God to establish his favor was with the newly formed Christian Congregation as confirmed by the account at Acts Chapter 2 in particular verses 2-4 with reference to the ability of speaking another language without being taught. Verses 5-12. Verses 16-18 shows it was a fulfillment of prior prophesy. After the death of the apostles these kind of miracles would not continue. 1Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails, but whether there are prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

Even though I would say what I have said here I would never be unkind about it. Each of us will have an accounting before God and there is never a time to be unkind.

I though for a minute that JAW had changed his name again Isolationist :D . You are very passionate in the way you feel about this area being given the shaft in opinions because of things of this nature being capitalized on by the media instead of the more positive examples. On this we agree sir.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

That woman has more faith in GOD, and prayer than 99% of the people I know. I'd rather have her praying for me than many of these weekend warriors. I could care less about the denomination because I am non denominational.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby clark bailey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I have no doubt the lady has great faith, and is sincere and I have no doubt God was merciful. In keeping with the original intent of this post, I'm going to leave it at that and return to the original intent of the thread.
clark bailey

Postby Guesser » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank You GFunk.. I am A CHURCH OF GOD member, and I believe in speakin in tounges. They ARE as real today as they ever were. Guess you guys never attended a Pentecostal church. Too bad you feel the way you do but if I am
sick I or dying I hope someone like this is praying for me..
Guesser

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Isolationist wrote:Well, eastern Kentucky made the national news after Friday's devastating tornadoes. Unfortunately, of all the videos uploaded to the world wide web, the new media has focused in an some stupid hillbilly woman, speaking in tongues with a speech impediment, claiming to be praying away the funnel cloud (before touchdown) in West Liberty, KY. What a damn idiot!

I think her prayer worked. She asked for GOD to take it away from their home, and town. It's my understanding that she lived in a different community/town than West Liberty.

You think it's fair that her prayer turned a tornado away from her belongings and sent it on down the road to kill and maim and wipe out an entire community.?? Do you think it was God who answered her prayer.?? I've always been taught that praying aloud will allow it to be intercepted and answered by any number of demons...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby RAP » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:41 am

I was raised in a Pentecostal Church. My opinion on this is from the bible not my opinion of people who go to the Church of their choice. My parents in particular and a lot of other good people I know.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 am

Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:

You think it's fair that her prayer turned a tornado away from her belongings and sent it on down the road to kill and maim and wipe out an entire community.?? Do you think it was God who answered her prayer.?? I've always been taught that praying aloud will allow it to be intercepted and answered by any number of demons...

As the old saying goes sometimes things aren't fair. The Bible is full of unfair stories.

Postby Wild » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 pm

The massive outbreak of tornadoes that struck Kentucky last week was devastating for communities and families across a large swath of the Commonwealth. Nearly two dozen Kentuckians lost their lives in the deadly storms, hundreds were injured and many lost everything they owned. One of my field representatives, Christina Peterson, gave this account from West Liberty:

"The people of West Liberty, like the other areas affected, have so many stories of true heroism and bravery. A bank manager sent his employees into the bank vault while he ran out to help a young family with two small children get out of the car. The back of the bank was completely ripped off as they were running into the vault and they all survived.

"A city employee broke several ribs while climbing the ravine to her house to see about her daughter. As she was climbing, she looked over and her bedroom curtains were hanging in the tree next to her. Once she topped the ledge, lightning struck and she was able to see that her entire house was just gone. Her daughter had sought shelter at a relative's house and was safe.

"The people there are just exhausted, but determined. Everyone seems to still be in a state of shock. One woman I spoke with, whose house had been completely destroyed, had been walking around the town during daylight hours for two days looking for something, anything, that looked familiar. She said, 'my entire life is just gone, there's nothing left.'

(A view of the tornado damage in West Liberty, taken Monday, March 5.)

In the aftermath, there has been an outpouring of support from first responders, volunteers and relief organizations. Whether it be groceries, household supplies or simply donations, Kentuckians have responded to this disaster in countless generous ways.

There remains much work to be done to provide relief. And it will take great effort to rebuild. But, we will rebuild. And I pledge to work with our communities to make sure they have the resources and attention they need.

(A gas station in Salyersville demolished by the storms.)

Kentucky Granted Disaster Declaration

Sen. Mitch McConnell and I sent a joint letter to President Obama urging him to give timely consideration to Gov. Steve Beshear's request to provide Kentucky with a federal disaster declaration. The president granted this request, meaning federal money can help with clean up and rebuilding.

(Downtown West Liberty in the aftermath of Friday's tornado.)

Currently, federal funding is available to affected individuals in Bath, Campbell, Carroll, Grant, Johnson, Kenton, Laurel, Lawrence, Martin, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Pendleton, and Rowan counties. Additional counties could qualify. Assistance for individuals can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs.

Renters, homeowners and business owners may qualify for help through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). However, they must apply for assistance. The process takes 15 to 30 minutes. Registration is available online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at (800) 621-FEMA (3362) or (800) 462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Disaster Recovery Center in Morgan County

FEMA is opening a disaster recovery center in Morgan County at noon today, Friday March 9, at the following location:

Kentucky Housing Cooperation Building
1084 Highway 7
West Liberty, KY 41472

The DRC's hours of operation will be from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., seven days per week (will be adjusted based on attendance).

East Bernstadt Recovery Help Center

The East Bernstadt Recovery Help Center located on Highway 490 (just before you reach the East Bernstadt Post Office) is now open Monday - Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The center is open for tornado victims to receive supplies ranging from clothing, towels, toiletries and other various home items.

On the Ground

My staff has been on the ground in the areas affected by the storms, surveying damage and compiling information. They will be holding mobile office hours in the affected communities in the days and months to come. Please contact them if you have any questions or are in need of assistance.

Eastern Kentucky: Chris Musgrave, (859) 338-7348 cell, chris_musgrave@paul.senate.gov

Southeastern Kentucky: Bryan Mills, (606) 854-3296 cell, bryan_mills@paul.senate.gov

Northern Kentucky: Bernie Kunkel, (859) 322-3499 cell, bernard_kunkel@paul.senate.gov

North Central Kentucky: Jennifer Decker, (502)572-8334 cell, jennifer_decker@paul.senate.gov

How Can You Help?

Here are just some of the ways to volunteer or donate to help tornado victims:

Christian Appalachian Project

The Christian Appalachian Project is on the ground in all disaster zones providing shelters, shower facilities, and supplies. Donations can be made for these relief efforts at http://www.christianapp.org/2012/03/tor ... ppalachia/

WYMT Telethon/East Kentucky Relief Fund

Television station WYMT will be airing the "Telethon for the East KY Relief Fund" from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. ET, on Tuesday, March 13. The telethon will be hosted by WYMT and country music duo Halfway to Hazard. Donations can be made at any Community Trust Bank or you can mail them to:

East KY Tornado Relief Fund

c/o Foundation for Appalachian KY

P.O. Box 310

Chavies, KY 41727

Kentucky Cares Campaign

The Kentucky Cares Campaign has been set up to help those hurt by the tornado.

Today, Friday, March 9, Kentucky Cares will host a tornado relief phonebank at TV station WKYT from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The numbers for the phonebank are (859) 299-5455 or (800) 500-1513.

To give to the campaign at any time:
•Text Redcross to 90999.
•Go to Redcross.org and give to the Disaster Relief Fund.
•Drop a check off at any Central Bank location.
•Mail a check to:

Kentucky Cares

1450 Newton Pike

Lexington, Ky. 40511

In Washington, D.C.

A Platform to Revitalize America

Yesterday, at a press conference in the U.S. Capitol, I unveiled my FY2013 budget, "A Platform to Revitalize America," and was joined by co-sponsors Sens. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah). My plan is the only budget proposal that balances the budget in five years, significantly reduces spending, and restores fiscal order to Washington.

While Washington continues to spend recklessly and ignore the ever-growing deficit, I am offering a plan that will address this country's looming debt crisis in a truly timely manner. The time has come for a change that will restore fiscal order in this country, and I will do everything in my power to ensure that this happens. Click HERE to read my entire statement on my budget proposal or click the link below to view my budget in its entirety.

SENATOR RAND PAUL'S PLATFORM TO REVITALIZE AMERICA

Property Rights Tele-Townhall

I am hosting a live tele-town hall on EPA overreach and property rights on Tuesday, March 13, at 9 p.m. ET - See the invitation below and RSVP today.

You are invited to join Sen. Rand Paul in a live tele-town hall conference call on Tuesday, March 13, 2012, at 9 p.m. ET, to hear him discuss his legislation, the Defense of Property Act of 2012 (S. 2122), and answer your questions. This is an important opportunity to discuss the out-of-control Administration's EPA and what you can do to help Sen. Paul rein in their unchecked power and assault on Americans' private property.

***To register for the tele-town hall conference call, please click on the following link TODAY: http://bit.ly/xJFu9w

(Once you enter your contact information on our secure site, you will receive more information regarding Tuesday's tele-town hall, including dial-in information. Please share this link with your friends and colleagues - anyone who wants to join the fight to stop the EPA in its tracks.)

Media Wrap-Up

This week, I spoke with several Kentucky radio stations including: WXMZ's Jerry Wright in Owensboro, WHAS's Mandy Connell and Terry Meiners in Louisville, and WLAP's Leland Conway in Lexington, as well as those across the country.
You can find updates on what I'm doing by visiting my Senate website, http://www.paul.senate.gov and you can follow my official Twitter account HERE. You can also subscribe to my YouTube channel HERE. Don't forget to become a fan of my official Facebook page for other timely updates.
Warm Regards,
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Previous

Return to Local-National Weather