The POTUS Conflicts of Interest

Non-County related discussion forum.

The POTUS Conflicts of Interest

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:15 am

I thought it would be a while before President Elect Donald J. Trump's potential and real conflicts of interest became newsworthy. I was wrong.

The primary reason Americans have in the past wanted to see, and got to see candidates running for the Offices of the U.S. President and Vice President tax returns was to be able to determine any potential conflicts that may arise while carrying out the duties of those offices.

Conflicts of such a nature that have the potential to jeapardize both the domestic and foreign financial, economic and security of the United States government and the citizens thereof.

Donald Trump's refusal to make his tax forms available to the public has resulted in journalist digging through public records to learn a portion of the financial interest Donald Trump holds in this country as well as foreign country's. Trump has financial interest and holdings in more than 50 countries abroad, and as such getting information about those interest and holdings is a long and tedious process.

However, right off the bat we have a perfect example of what Congress, American's and our country will be dealing with for the next 4 years.

Last week Turkey's President Erdogan, made a call to Trump to congratulate him on his win. During the conversation Trump (not Erdogan) mentioned the recently built Trump twin towers in Istanbul. Trump does not own the towers, Turkey's Dogan family owns them. However, The Trump organization receives multi mllion of dollars annually from the Dogan Company, that borrow Trumps name for the towers (a licensing contract) and the Trump organization's management of it's hotel.

Trump in his congratulatory conversation with Erdogan, gave over the top flattering praise of the retired founder of the Dogan Company multi billionaire Aydin Dogan, and his son-in-law currently the Dogan company's CEO.

What happened a week later? Erdogan had both the CEO and his father-in-law arrested and imprisoned for participating in this year's recent military coup attempt in Turkey (that was likely the brainshild of by Erdogan himself to solidify his position of power).

So now we have a President Elect with financial interest in Turkey whose two close associates owning one of the Trump organization's money pits, arrested and imprisoned. And an obvious pissed off Turkish President.

Why would Erdogan, who just made a congratulatory call to the next U.S. President, immediately turn around and have two of the incoming President's money making associates arrested?

Well...earlier this year Erdogan tried to get Trump's name removed from the towers citing Trump's Islamaphopic campaign rhetoric. Additionally, Erdogan has been trying for years to get the Obama Administration to extradite an American citizen residing for decades in Pennsylvania, Islamic Imam Gulen. Whom in years past was closely allied with Erdogan. It's speculated that Gulen has information about the workings of Erdogan's political inner circle, and influence in Erdogan's political opposition in Turkey that could be politically detrimental to Erdogan

To justify his demand of extradition, Erdogan accuses Gulen of political interference in Turkey's government, although Gulen was never arrested, charged or convicted of any crime in Turkey or elsewhere. As there is no legal reason to extradite Gulen, an American citizen the U.S. Government cannot comply.

I think this is only the beginning of the many Trump conundums to come. What to do.....what to do....??

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Re: The POTUS Conflicts of Interest

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:44 am

Trump has stated that he will hand over his businesses to his children before taking office. The conflict of interest law exempts the President and Vice President. That's how Cheney stayed associated with Halliburton.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby upallnight » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:46 am

I'm going to go with "It's George Bush's fault" for 1,000 Alex.
upallnight

Postby PharmGirl » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 am

I assumed he had foreign interests. If he turns them over to his children I see no conflict.
PharmGirl

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:42 am

PharmGirl wrote:I assumed he had foreign interests. If he turns them over to his children I see no conflict.

Everyone knows that money or should know that money, not what is best for America'or it's citizenry, is what drives the President elect.

Who for a moment believes that Wall Street information, foreign corporate dealings, etc. that the POTUS hears before any other established government agency outside of intel networks, will not be passed from the POTUS to his family? I don't.

I fully expect Trump"s Administration will be plagued with the same corruption we have seen in the past from Cheney and others that have used oir government and it's people to build their financial empires.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:48 am

Obama had no conflicts, but in all honesty he hadn't held a real job.
Gunslinger
Crooked Hillary

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Gunslinger wrote:Obama had no conflicts, but in all honesty he hadn't held a real job.

I don't know how anyone can think that working in civil service government positions isn' a 'real' job. Obama was a community and academic educator and a U.S. Senator U.S. involved in public discourse all of his adult life before becoming POTUS.

It's great to have retired successful business leaders go into public service. They bring a competive mind set that works very well to keep career politicians in the real world. It's disastrous when corporate mind sets dominate government agencies. Trade is only one aspect of any government's business. It's not, nor should it ever be, the only consideration worthy enough to be on the table of issues that dominate world peace and the security of soveriegn nations.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby ScArEcRoW » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Gunslinger wrote:Obama had no conflicts, but in all honesty he hadn't held a real job.

OMG!!! A first for everything.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GoDan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Why would Erdogan, who just made a congratulatory call to the next U.S. President, immediately turn around and have two of the incoming President's money making associates arrested?

To try to secure leverage with Trump.
GoDan

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 pm

GoDan wrote:

To try to secure leverage with Trump.

You're exactly right. Better kniwn in government circles as 'blackmail'.

So what is your expectation of how Trump will handle this conumdrum?

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

It's obvious by Trump's personality that he can't be easily bullied or blackmailed.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:01 pm

:D
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:It's obvious by Trump's personality that he can't be easily bullied or blackmailed.

The one thing I know about bullies, challenge them and they immediately expose their yellow underbelly. Almost every foreign leader sees both Putin and Trump as bullies.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cornbread » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Cate McCalley wrote::D
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:It's obvious by Trump's personality that he can't be easily bullied or blackmailed.

The one thing I know about bullies, challenge them and they immediately expose their yellow underbelly. Almost every foreign leader sees both Putin and Trump as bullies.

That is true with many bullies. Then you have the ones who can back the talk up.
Cornbread
Django

Postby Legion » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:48 pm

The election boiled down to Trump being more likable and more trustworthy than Clinton. She was a bad candidate in 08 and a bad candidate in 16. Sorta like McCain.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Cornbread wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:

That is true with many bullies. Then you have the ones who can back the talk up.

The world stage includes many actors. Some bad, some good. Trump has jumped into the spotlight. Whether he is able to handle the heat from it remains to be seen. I've never in my life seen any braggadocia command respect.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Random Discussion