Shooting Range Ideas

Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, survival preparedness, firearms and ammunition.

Shooting Range Ideas

Postby Colonel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 am

My fellow firearm enthusiasts I need your help. Most of you all know that I am a strong supporter and contributor to the Cloverlick Shooting Range here in Cumberland. It's a simple outdoor range. It has two pistol ranges with steel knock down targets, steel swinging headshot silhouette targets, IDPA style setup for cover shooting, and target stands for paper targets. It also has several varying distances for rifle shooting as well as a mounted skeet thrower. It costs $60 a year to be a member and pretty much all of that money goes towards paying the insurance for the range and for maintenance of the grounds. Members are welcome to shoot anytime they like and are welcome to bring guests. Granted the number of guests is within reason. To me, $60 a year is a small price to pay for a safe place to shoot.

The good news is that the range will be moving to old mine reclamation land come July. It will be right on Slope Hollow across from the college. This makes it more easily accessible and will host more room for a better setup and possibly some expansion. I want your ideas. I've worked hard this year helping increase membership and advocating this range. It's where I hold the shooting portion for my CCDW classes and donate one student's fee to the range each time we use it. With that said, it was reported to me that this was the first time in 10 years the range actually came out in the black.

The bad news is something which pains me to bring to attention. The man responsible for the oversight of the range for the past 10 years is Mr. Squeeze Davidson. For those of you who don't know him, he is an 82 year old veteran and long time enthusiast of anything firearm related. He has helped hand build a lot of the equipment used at the range. He's a good man and I take pride in the fact I've gotten to know him these past few years. He was recently diagnosed with mesothelioma, (asbestos related cancer) which there is no cure for. I spoke with him for some time one day and he was troubled by the fact that he was uncertain about what might become of the range once he is no longer able to care for it. I gave him my solemn promise that I would continue my efforts to promote and hopefully grow the range. I reach out to you all and would like to say anyone interested in joining or even just donating to the range, please contact me. If anyone is interested in checking out the range and would also like to see where we will be moving I will be more than happy to give you all a tour. I also want your ideas. What would you like to have in a range? Hopefully, we can keep membership increasing and donations flowing in that we will be able to invest in some new equipment this summer. I personally plan to place some new equipment out of pocket. To quote Oliver Cromwell, "Keep your faith in God, but keep your powder dry." Thanks.
Colonel

Re: Shooting Range Ideas

Postby Kateena Haynes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Yay! That's where we shoot anyway. It will be great to have an actual range there and it will be much closer to the majority of folks in the Tri-City area. I hate to hear that Mr. Davidson is sick, tho. My husband and I will definitely be joining. Thanks for the info.
Kateena Haynes
I Wear A Cape!

Postby outdoorsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:37 pm

colonel I would like to be a member I took the ccwc whith you a month or so back
outdoorsman

Postby Colonel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Joining is very simple. I just need your name, phone number, address, and the membership fee. I'll give you a key to the gate and you can have at it. Membership renewal comes every July. Since it's so late in the 09-10 membership year, it's just $30. It's always in July because that's when the insurance premium is due. Just let me know whenever you want to join and we can set you up. Oh! Thanks again for taking my CCDW class. I really hope you enjoyed it.
Colonel

Postby outdoorsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 pm

ok thanks colonel
outdoorsman

Postby stoker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm

i would all so like to join how do i get ahold of you as for shotting range on Slope Hollow me myself think it is a good idea but won,t the people that live in the area complain about the noise i hope not because a shotting range is a good idea it is Safer
stoker

Postby outdoorsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:30 pm

what side of the road will it be on? on the right past cematary would be best but thats just me

/
outdoorsman

Postby Kateena Haynes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 pm

outdoorsman wrote:what side of the road will it be on? on the right past cematary would be best but thats just me

/

That's where we always shoot. Good location.
Kateena Haynes
I Wear A Cape!

Postby outdoorsman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 pm

I dont think the noise would be bad on the right side above the cematary
outdoorsman

Postby Colonel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 am

Sorry, it's taken me a while to message. I've been working. I myself am getting ready to take my first tour of the new area... I'm not sure if it is right past the cematary or the one off of the left fork of slope. I don't think noise will be an issue for either place. Considering that coal trucks and trains are constantly in the area. I think it will work out well. Stoker you can contact me at 606-909-2959 or by email at newuntouchable@hotmail.com I work night shift and sleep during the day, so if I don't answer just leave a message and I'll call you back before I leave for the ole grind. Thanks :)
Colonel

Postby shade chaser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm

I think you should look at the idea of a full SHOOTING MATCH once or twice per month,offer every cal. of pistol,rifle and shotgun,prizes could range anywhere from "money" to a nice cooked ham or even down to a case of diet coke,i think this would draw in a crowd once its underway,back when i was young there was one at rosspoint and can remember how competetive the older guys were,it is still true today,most guys would love to show their stuff in a match shoot,I and a couple my buddies would love to see a well ran shooting match in harlan,something to concider.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby sundown » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:54 pm

hey shade, up there were they were gonna build a walmart there is acres of parking and a great place to shoot, there's no houses close at all and a good road to travel.
live today like theres no tomorrow!
sundown

Postby shade chaser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

sundown wrote:hey shade, up there were they were gonna build a walmart there is acres of parking and a great place to shoot, there's no houses close at all and a good road to travel.

yes its a nice place,ive been there,actually you are the first one i went there with,i would just like to see a good shooting match started here again.do you remember the ol "coon on a log" ? that would be cool too.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby carbon-15 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:38 pm

I would love a shooting match..
carbon-15
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I have a best friend that i would put money on against most anyone,if he is shooting the beretta 92FS,ive witnessed him putting of shotgun shells layin on a log at about 50 ft.lol
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to The Outdoors Forum