Once Saved Always Saved or Once in grace...

A forum dedicated to people of the Christian faith.

Once Saved Always Saved or Once in grace...

Postby clark bailey » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I'll make the topic and visit it as soon as I can....

I don't believe in what are traditionally known as Calvinist doctrines of which this theological presumptions flows so my response would be, no. I do not believe in once saved always saved.

I believe we are saved, we are being saved and one day thank God we will be saved.
clark bailey

Re: Once Saved Always Saved or Once in grace...

Postby Protagonist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 pm

clark bailey wrote:I'll make the topic and visit it as soon as I can....

I don't believe in what are traditionally known as Calvinist doctrines of which this theological presumptions flows so my response would be, no. I do not believe in once saved always saved.

I believe we are saved, we are being saved and one day thank God we will be saved.

Christ died to save once and for all. So, yes....once "saved", always "saved".
Protagonist

Postby clark bailey » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:42 pm

and those who "edureth" to the end shall be saved...
clark bailey

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:18 pm

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believe on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.” John 5:24

The above text is supposed by some to teach that when we become Christian disciples, we get from God an atom of Himself, the seed of the new being; and this seed is presumed to be undiminishable and indestructible. It is claimed that although this seed may lie dormant for awhile, or be hindered from development by a backsliding, sinful course of life, it will ultimately and surely develop into a true and noble spirit being, to have eternal life in heaven.

This is exactly what my granny interprets the saying "Once in grace, always in Grace" to mean. That no matter where you go in life or what you do, that once you have been saved, you will always have that seed planted in your heart telling you whats right and wrong, whether you decide to listen or not.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby clark bailey » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Unbridled Spirit wrote:
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believe on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.” John 5:24

The above text is supposed by some to teach that when we become Christian disciples, we get from God an atom of Himself, the seed of the new being; and this seed is presumed to be undiminishable and indestructible. It is claimed that although this seed may lie dormant for awhile, or be hindered from development by a backsliding, sinful course of life, it will ultimately and surely develop into a true and noble spirit being, to have eternal life in heaven.

This is exactly what my granny interprets the saying "Once in grace, always in Grace" to mean. That no matter where you go in life or what you do, that once you have been saved, you will always have that seed planted in your heart telling you whats right and wrong, whether you decide to listen or not.

Not being argumentative ( not just for arguments sake anyway) but would that denote that we do not know the difference prior to a conversion experience?
clark bailey

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Maybe it does, Maybe it dosent. I was just stating my grannies beliefs on the subject. You don't have to like them, or agree with them. Just her beliefs.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:45 pm

Nobody ever answered my question... Well somebody did without even knowing it...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby DarkFairy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Well let me throw this out there at y'all.

As for being a "Christian", what do you think means?

I was reading yesterday and in the Old Testament it was a term used for mockery, degrading someone or basically calling them "religious fanatics" by todays standard.
In the New Testament it is used only once or twice and basically explains a "Christian" as a "Disciple" Someone who lives the life as Christ did, someone who is basically "Saint Like" to be more blunt. I will try to find the site again where I read it.

So saying that, most of the people who claim to be Christians only attend church (yes I know some) and because they do so they feel they are a Christian. I believe people think of being a Christian as its own Denomination, such as Catholic, Baptist, Methodist instead of really understanding what the word means. I have heard people answer the question "What religion are you" and they answer Christian. Really people? Really? I believe there are far more people who only want the name because now it has somehow become a term of status or an ethical/moral bump up the ladder for them to achieve something they want. Know what I mean?

So saying that, once in grace always in grace doesn't seem logical. You can't be a true Christian, live like Christ did then turn around and kill 3 people, rape 1 and rob a bank and still expect to have the promised afterlife, now can you? I'm not being hateful or sarcastic, I have never understood the concept of once in, always in. US, I will say that your granny's explanation of it is the most logical that I have ever heard in my life. It actually seems a little clearer now. Granny's are so wise. ;)
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:12 am

DF- Yea, I love my granny. Shes a wise lady! Thanks!

"Going to church" seems to me as if it has became more of a social event than a meeting with God.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby DarkFairy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:33 pm

Unbridled Spirit wrote:DF- Yea, I love my granny. Shes a wise lady! Thanks!

"Going to church" seems to me as if it has became more of a social event than a meeting with God.

AMEN! :P
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby clark bailey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Define: being saved or salvation.
clark bailey

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Church is mentioned a few times in the new Testament... Nowhere is it stated that it is a building... Christian is just an English adaptation... Followers of politics are politicians, followers of Christ are Christians... It isn't anything ominous... Just a word...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:43 pm

clark bailey wrote:Define: being saved or salvation.

Saved is passing the bar of judgment without being cast into the lake of fire... You cannot be "saved" while you are living here on this earth... Impossible... It requires a formula... Faith and endurance until the end...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Like I said before, my granny is and always has been a straight up Pentecostal. I have saw her or my papaw become ill, or need prayer, and the deacons and pastor of her church come to her house to pray with them. They would have an all out church session. I in no way believe a person has to be in a church to find the grace of God. I have heard someone say before that church or worship session is where you go to feed your spirit and learn more clearly about the Lords word. Yea, that makes alot of sense to me, IF a person goes for that reason, not to just congregate & gossip about their neighbor!
Unbridled Spirit

Postby DarkFairy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:Church is mentioned a few times in the new Testament... Nowhere is it stated that it is a building... Christian is just an English adaptation... Followers of politics are politicians, followers of Christ are Christians... It isn't anything ominous... Just a word...

Somewhat I guess, but it was said the reason it started was they were making fun of the followers of Christ. It would be like calling the people who followed Charles Manson : Mansonians Mocking them.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Next

Return to Christian Forum