Your Opinons on this

A forum dedicated to people of the Christian faith.

Your Opinons on this

Postby DarkFairy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:22 pm

I had a unpleasant experience at church today. I won't say which church but the point is, I went to church because I wanted to go, because I had made a promise to go today. While there I was embarrassed to death, so I left. I do believe they had good intentions but that doesn't change the fact of how it made me feel.

I want to know how many of you believe in going up to people at church (basically "calling them out" publicly), and more or less pressuring them to go to the altar and pray? I personally, don't like this, this is what was done to me and I was so mad and upset that I left.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Re: Your Opinons on this

Postby RAP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Been there done that and I left and never went back. I also had this kind of experience in many other denomination concerning differant things until I left all of them for good, convinced there was no God and stayed that way for half of my life until I searched on my own to find the Truth.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Wild » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:34 pm

DF I was not raised in a church that did that. So I dont know how I would feel. With that having been said. I dont feel like anyone should pressure another to do things in church they dont feel like they are ready to do. That kind of pressure can lead a person to not do what is right in their heart and if you dont approch God with the right mind set then it is for nothing anyway.
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jacqueline » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:41 pm

DF, I honestly do not believe in making anyone feel uncomfortable in church. As a person that some times does a church service I know there have been times that I have seen certain people walk into church and thought, boy today would be a good day for such and such message, now not calling them out on something, but just a good message on salvation. You know what, I go on with what the Lord lead me to, which was the message I had planned before this person walked into church. I know it is tempting but I also think that the Lord gives each person the message they are to do. I would and could never call anyone out on something that has happened in their life be they guilty or not.

I have often heard of a certain church in town that goes about getting the gossip of the week and then preaching on it. I don't believe in this either. Where ever you went to church this morning was wrong to do that. If they had wanted to talk to you it should have been done in private, not from the pulpit. I would have left too, and probably made a fool of myself as I walked out the door and said, thanks for turning me off from religion and I won't be back. Don't let this one incident turn you away from the Lord, but just find another church to attend. I can recommend some good ones and not necessarily the one I attend, let me say the one I attended before my dad got sick. I do not get to go to church now unless he will and that doesn't happen often. I think twice last year. I really miss going to church, it gives me the spiritual needs that help me in my daily walk, but I have to do that on my own for now.

DF, if you ever want to talk, give me a call, I am not the best Christian in the world but I try hard. I, too, make, and have made plenty of mistakes. I think my dad is the only Coldiron in the book in the Cumberland directory.

God did not make man to judge, that is His job, so who is to say you even needed to go to the alter? These people do not know your heart, only you and the Lord know that. On the bright side of things, always remember that they way they, you and me judge people will be the way we are judged in Heaven. You don't have to be in the church building to turn your life around, you can do that on the street, in a bar, in the grocery store, etc.

Jacqueline
Jacqueline
Jacqueline
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:52 pm

DarkFairy wrote:I had a unpleasant experience at church today. I won't say which church but the point is, I went to church because I wanted to go, because I had made a promise to go today. While there I was embarrassed to death, so I left. I do believe they had good intentions but that doesn't change the fact of how it made me feel.

I want to know how many of you believe in going up to people at church (basically "calling them out" publicly), and more or less pressuring them to go to the altar and pray? I personally, don't like this, this is what was done to me and I was so mad and upset that I left.

some times one will only feel as tho they are being called out or singled out due to a burdon they may have [dont know anything about you]but my mother raised all us kids in church at Riverside Baptist in Dayhiot and i dont attend as we all should [IMO]and some times when i go nowadays i feel as if the preacher is talking directly to me lol,an probably should be i guess,but maybe you just felt as if they were directing something toward you and should give it another chance,i know i sure need to go more myself,just a thought tho.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby DarkFairy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:06 pm

shade chaser wrote:some times one will only feel as tho they are being called out or singled out due to a burdon they may have [dont know anything about you]but my mother raised all us kids in church at Riverside Baptist in Dayhiot and i dont attend as we all should [IMO]and some times when i go nowadays i feel as if the preacher is talking directly to me lol,an probably should be i guess,but maybe you just felt as if they were directing something toward you and should give it another chance,i know i sure need to go more myself,just a thought tho.

Well shade, you make a good point but that was not it. When they come to your seat and try to get you, then they are singling you out, it is not just a 'feeling' of being singled out. I know I didn't put that in my original post but that is what happened, they literally came to my seat where I was sitting and tried to get me to go to the altar. I don't like to be the center of attention in a crowd, I get very anxious in front of a crowd of people anyway and to have them all looking at me like they were was very very unpleasant (to say the least). I don't believe I need to go to an altar and pray in front of a whole congregation to have a relationship with God.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Tiny238 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:16 pm

DarkFairy wrote:I had a unpleasant experience at church today. I won't say which church but the point is, I went to church because I wanted to go, because I had made a promise to go today. While there I was embarrassed to death, so I left. I do believe they had good intentions but that doesn't change the fact of how it made me feel.

I think this person that did that you was very wrong and you did not get to pray in your own way
Tiny238
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:25 pm

WOW,i sure misunderstood you,that was wrong to do that and no one should ever do it,but dont give up on church just go somewhere else,there are plenty of good churches around that one could enjoy with out having this happen.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Brat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:17 pm

In my honest opinion, whoever this person was is RUDE. They are obviously not in the least bit concerned with your well being or they would have approached you quietly, in private and asked if there was anything they could do for you and perhaps suggested this option to you. By approaching you in public, they were bringing not only unwanted attention to you, but putting themselves center stage and attempting to appear righteous to everyone around them. For some people religion is a private matter and shouldn't be exploited by others for their own sense of self importance.

Now I know I can expect some of you to come back with smart remarks and judgements against me, but I'm still going to say what I feel is MY opinion. I hate being the center of attention also. I prefer to keep myself rather low profile in public as I get very upset (even ill) when I am center stage.

Perhaps this person had the best of intentions, I doubt it, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Most who do things like this are self-righteous jerks who think that their way is the only way and don't give a hoot about how their victim really feels.

Had this happened to me, I would have gotten red faced and made myself leave before I told them off, loudly and insultingly so that they would be as red faced as I was!
Brat
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:20 pm

That is exactly what happened to me that is why I knew what happened to her. It really did some damage to me as far as going to church. I will say that this persons heart was in the right place she though she was doing something to help her. I was raised in a church like this and most of the people were the salt of the earth so to speak they just were not instructed correctly.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby DarkFairy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Although this was a bad experience for me, I know the people in the church and I have my whole life, they are not bad people and I won't say anything ill about them. I had seen them do that to other people and didn't like it then, that is one reason why I had not went back in such a long time but I had made a promise to my little girl that I would go and I fulfilled my promise but I will not be going back there.

Religion is something private to me, not something that needs to be 'shown' to people. I just wanted to see if I was in the wrong or if it really was a bad situation to put someone in. Like I said, I don't do well in a crowd of people and to be done like that is not something I would respond to, at least not a positive response.

Thank you everyone for your comments and kind words.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Higher Ground » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 pm

"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35
"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Luke 5:16

I grew up Holiness/Pentecostal and have witnessed what you described on many occasions. I always found it painful to watch. I'm sure people mean well, but publicly pressuring someone to pray is just wrong. It is one of the reasons that I no longer attend those churches.

I believe you can have a private relationship with God.

You do what feels right for you.
Higher Ground

Postby DarkFairy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Higher Ground wrote:"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35
"But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Luke 5:16

I grew up Holiness/Pentecostal and have witnessed what you described on many occasions. I always found it painful to watch. I'm sure people mean well, but publicly pressuring someone to pray is just wrong. It is one of the reasons that I no longer attend those churches.

I believe you can have a private relationship with God.

You do what feels right for you.

Thank You Higher Ground, it means more than you know.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Chase » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 pm

DF, you are actually the purest in spirit on this one. "Blessed are the pure in spirit for they shall see God." Only you can feel what God has layed on your heart to do. It was wrong for anyone to come directly to you and single you out in front of a congregation. I don't care how many altar calls are given, that is something between you and the Lord. You have to answer only to the lord in what you want to do. I don't care if you are standing at your kitchen sink washing dishes or driving down the road and you feel you have the need to give your life to Christ he will accept you. No one can save you by approaching you and tell you what your need is. Your question to us was how we feel about what happened to you. My answer and my feeling is, it was wrong. I bet there were other people in the church felt badly for you too. No one would want this to happen to them. It is hard enough to get back into going to church, but always remember why you were there in the first place. You know what to do and I know that God is pleased with you, due to how you were feeling before you even went through the doors at the church. Take it from there.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby neighbor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 pm

Chase , I think you are so right.. IF GOD cant deal with your heart AND put conviction in your heart then MAN Should not interfere. I think when GOD is in the arrangment thats all that matters. May God bless you and I hope this doesnt stop you from finding a good church somewhere that you are comfortable in...

[i]
Every time I think that I am getting old, and gradually going to the grave, something else happens.

neighbor

Next

Return to Christian Forum