Your Opinons on this

A forum dedicated to people of the Christian faith.

Re: Your Opinons on this

Postby Meadow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 am

This drives me crazy. You know, I am an adult, and I feel as though if I do or I don't go to church that is my decision. I think its great for someone to invite me to church as much as you would like. I have no problem in the world with that. However, I do have an issue with someone who tells me WHY I should be there and WHAT will happen to me if I do not go. Just because I do not get up and go to church does not mean that I do not believe in God, heaven and hell, and prayer. I had someone to tell me that if I ever wanted to see my grandfather again then I KNEW what I had to do. I mean, really, what kind of christian would say that to someone? You do not know what is in someone's heart.
Meadow

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 am

The lines of christianity are so blurred for me anymore, Im not sure whats right or whats wrong. I do however know that I can pray. I can talk to Jesus anytime I want, & that he is there. I dont think I need to get up & attend church or a church function & be seen in order to enter Heaven. I think our relationship with God is OURS. What anyone else thinks or says dosent matter.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 am

I agree with both of you.

Meadow, my Mom is like that... it is always "you know you need to be in church" or "you better get your life right". REALLY?? My little girl goes to church with her every week, and that is fine with me cause my girl loves it! My problem begins when my daughter comes up to me and asks if I am going to hell because I don't go to church and because she don't hear me praying. Ain't that something? She is 6yrs old y'all!! And then I wonder are we even giving our kids a chance to make up their own minds regarding religion or are they merely brainwashed into believing whatever we do?

Religion is a topic which blows my mind... literally! I even admit, I never though to study different religions until about 5 yrs ago and that was due to many deep conversations with my husband about it. A child learns what they are taught...even to this day, even though I am not a practicing Christian I can do something and think 'oh I shouldn't do that' but then I think.. why not? Why should I not say Hot Damn and have a beer if I want to? Not those things literally but my point is, what we are taught when we are young always stay in the back of our minds. I don't think anyone on this earth has the full knowledge of what the afterlife holds and the Bible is a whole other topic for me because there has been so many things removed, so many translations did and so many different versions....who knows if it is even being taught correctly? And as far as Religions... Christianity is a very young religion.

Complicated topic indeed but I admit, I do love discussing it! :)
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm

are we even giving our kids a chance to make up their own minds regarding religion or are they merely brainwashed into believing whatever we do?

That is SO TRUE!! I was raised very pentecostal by an amazing family. However, if you didnt believe THEIR WAY- you were going to hell! No if, ands, or butts!! The Baptist were going to hell, the catholic were going to hell. Everyone but the pentecostals! lol Im serious... Now that Im older, I look back & realize, I never was given a choice, a reason why. Im not trying to put anyone down, but I wonder now if that was all alot of tradition. My grandparents believed a certain way, their parents, their parents, etc. Im with ya DF- it all confuses me! lol
Unbridled Spirit

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Unbridled Spirit wrote:
are we even giving our kids a chance to make up their own minds regarding religion or are they merely brainwashed into believing whatever we do?

That is SO TRUE!! I was raised very pentecostal by an amazing family. However, if you didnt believe THEIR WAY- you were going to hell! No if, ands, or butts!! The Baptist were going to hell, the catholic were going to hell. Everyone but the pentecostals! lol Im serious... Now that Im older, I look back & realize, I never was given a choice, a reason why. Im not trying to put anyone down, but I wonder now if that was all alot of tradition. My grandparents believed a certain way, their parents, their parents, etc. Im with ya DF- it all confuses me! lol

lol :lol: I was raised Pentecostal as well and I am sure you know what I mean when I said it sticks in the back of your head no matter how old you get or how much information you have! It is that 'fear' they put in you and you think... "well, what if they are right!" Truth be told, I can't imagine a God who created this Universe wanting women stoned to death (OT) or telling a man to kill his son to prove his love/devotion for him (Abraham). Really? The Christian God is all knowing, it is said he sees in our hearts, minds, souls, knows what we will do before we do it but yet he needed Abraham to PROVE himself by such an extreme method?

For me, there are just so many questions and so many things I can't wrap my head around that I can't believe in such a selfish and vengeful God. (hope that don't offend anyone, it is not meant to)
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby RAP » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Without going into to much detail, I will intervene and say that everything in the bible either taught us a lesson or was a prophesy pointing to Jesus and the necessity of his having to die for us. The Law covenant was a tutor leading to Christ, Galatians 3:24, to show his people that it was necessary to help them recognize the Christ when he came. This test on Abraham was not because God did not know his heart but to picture what he, God was going to do to make it possible for sinful humans to be able to come into an approved relationship with him. That is to have a faith strong enough in his promises to obey him without doubt. You see he had told Abraham that he was going to make a nation of people from his loins to become his people and all the nations would be blessed through this act. Genesis 18:17-19. Abraham's faith in God's promise was so sure he knew that god would resurrect Issac if it became necessary. So he obeyed without doubt even though he did not understand completely what was involved. Hebrews 11:17-19. A lesson for future generations to come. Abraham as the father that was sacrificing his only begotten son pictured Jehovah and Issac pictured Jesus because he willing laid down his life because of the same strong faith that his father had. You see when this happened he was not a young boy he was a strong young man, yet he did not try to stop his father from obeying God's command.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 pm

RAP wrote:Without going into to much detail, I will intervene and say that everything in the bible either taught us a lesson or was a prophesy pointing to Jesus and the necessity of his having to die for us. The Law covenant was a tutor leading to Christ, Galatians 3:24, to show his people that it was necessary to help them recognize the Christ when he came. This test on Abraham was not because God did not know his heart but to picture what he, God was going to do to make it possible for sinful humans to be able to come into an approved relationship with him. That is to have a faith strong enough in his promises to obey him without doubt. You see he had told Abraham that he was going to make a nation of people from his loins to become his people and all the nations would be blessed through this act. Genesis 18:17-19. Abraham's faith in God's promise was so sure he knew that god would resurrect Issac if it became necessary. So he obeyed without doubt even though he did not understand completely what was involved. Hebrews 11:17-19. A lesson for future generations to come. Abraham as the father that was sacrificing his only begotten son pictured Jehovah and Issac pictured Jesus because he willing laid down his life because of the same strong faith that his father had. You see when this happened he was not a young boy he was a strong young man, yet he did not try to stop his father from obeying God's command.

I will take your word for it RAP, simply because I am too tired right now to go looking for it..lol There are others things as well, I will point them out a little later all together instead of making 4 or 5 different posts cause I sit here and go "oh yeah, i need to add that too" LOL
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 am

DarkFairy wrote:I had a unpleasant experience at church today. I won't say which church but the point is, I went to church because I wanted to go, because I had made a promise to go today. While there I was embarrassed to death, so I left. I do believe they had good intentions but that doesn't change the fact of how it made me feel.

I want to know how many of you believe in going up to people at church (basically "calling them out" publicly), and more or less pressuring them to go to the altar and pray? I personally, don't like this, this is what was done to me and I was so mad and upset that I left.

I recall as a teen being forced to travel from one end of the county to the other to attend church with my aunt and grandmother. ( I was their security ) All of your Pentecostal, and Church of God denominations have alter calls on a regular basis. One particular instance was at a church in Ages where two matriarch ( I knew they were Matriarchs of the church based on the size of their hair buns which made them over 6ft tall, excessive amount of bobby pins, large decorative broach on their dress, and the strong smell of Aqua Net Hairspray). These two ladies proceeded to talk to me for at least a half hour trying to get me to go to the alter. Needless to say after that event my aunt and grandmother lost their security detail.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
DarkFairy wrote:I had a unpleasant experience at church today. I won't say which church but the point is, I went to church because I wanted to go, because I had made a promise to go today. While there I was embarrassed to death, so I left. I do believe they had good intentions but that doesn't change the fact of how it made me feel.

I want to know how many of you believe in going up to people at church (basically "calling them out" publicly), and more or less pressuring them to go to the altar and pray? I personally, don't like this, this is what was done to me and I was so mad and upset that I left.

I recall as a teen being forced to travel from one end of the county to the other to attend church with my aunt and grandmother. ( I was their security ) All of your Pentecostal, and Church of God denominations have alter calls on a regular basis. One particular instance was at a church in Ages where two matriarch ( I knew they were Matriarchs of the church based on the size of their hair buns which made them over 6ft tall, excessive amount of bobby pins, large decorative broach on their dress, and the strong smell of Aqua Net Hairspray). These two ladies proceeded to talk to me for at least a half hour trying to get me to go to the alter. Needless to say after that event my aunt and grandmother lost their security detail.

Altar calls are one thing, strong arm conversions another...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Thats whats wrong with organized religion the people in the church are the higher power.

Postby DarkFairy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:45 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:

I don't blame you, the thing is I grew up in that church and knew how they did people, had seen it many many times but never agreed with it. Usually during altar call I would go out in the foyer or to the restroom or just anywhere to avoid any awkwardness, so once I got old enough I stopped going altogether. When I promised my daughter I would go I was just hoping to get through 1 service without being pointed out and pressured.... I was wrong.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby clark bailey » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I have quite a bit to say on this but so many things to comment on. I hope to be able to write out what I want to say soon, I find the conversation interesting.
clark bailey

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 pm

lol Ages Church of God. lol @ the womens descriptions.

Postby DarkFairy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:25 pm

clark bailey wrote:I have quite a bit to say on this but so many things to comment on. I hope to be able to write out what I want to say soon, I find the conversation interesting.

As do I, I love religious conversations. Well, let me clarify that, I love civil and respectful religious conversations. Look forward to reading your comments.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Anyone ever notice how organized religion mimicks our government. We have a head man in charge (Preacher) he lays out the churches beliefs, and if you don't agree you can switch (parties) denominations. You have a assistant preacher, and others who are in charge of the direction of the church, and it's finances. Church and State are the same entity. They both need followers, cash, and people to spread their word.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

PreviousNext

Return to Christian Forum