Children and becoming a Christian

A forum dedicated to people of the Christian faith.

Children and becoming a Christian

Postby Campground Man » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:32 pm

My 9 year old has been asking a lot about becoming a Christian lately..

Personally, I feel it's important that a person who is wanting to become a Christian to understand the gravity of their decision as well as have a decent grasp of what it means to be a Christian. If you read about the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts (ch 8 or 9) it can help us to understand the importance that early Christians put on "understanding" the gospel. The same can be said with many of Paul's letters and even in Peter where the importance of understanding the scriptures was made clear.

From my understanding of God's word, it is important for one who wants to become a Christian to hear God's word and of course believe that Christ is the son of God (Rom 10:17 & Hebrews 11). I often question when people are encouraging 4 & 5 year olds to become a Christian who obviously have no clue what they are doing and in no way can understand the real differance in right and wrong.

Even Jesus in Luke 13 required repentance as well as Peter in preaching the 1st gospel sermon in Acts 2 likewise required repentance in order to be forgiven. How can a child too young to understand likewise be able to repent of their sins.

With this all in mind my dad, myself, and my wife have each studied with my 9 yr old daughter to help her understand that becoming a Christian is not something you do and forget - that much like marriage it's a lifetime commitment and as such should be taken very seriously.
Campground Man
(no custom rank chosen)

Re: Children and becoming a Christian

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I am no authority by any means but I think that is to young to grasp the meaning or the lifestyle. To be honest about it most adults who claim to be christians don't either. It is a tribute to you and your family raising your child with your belief system. If you don't teach them someone else will.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Good job raising your daughter in a christian home.

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm

You omitted the gospels of Timothy, Judas, and Mary Magdalene...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Meadow » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:56 pm

In my opinion I think 9 is to young, but you are leading her in the right direction.
Meadow

Postby Campground Man » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:19 am

Meadow wrote:In my opinion I think 9 is to young, but you are leading her in the right direction.

In most cases I would agree, however when they come to you quoting scriptures and saying the feel they'd be lost if they did die because they know the difference in right in wrong - it's probably not a good idea to discourage it.

I do know of one instance where a parent denied a child because of age - the kid never showed any interest after that and later died as an adult never obeying the gospel.
Campground Man
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm

I think as a parent you would know when a child is ready to take this step. A story once told to me about a five year old boy who was kidnapped by thieves and was trained to steal and he kept telling them he would not do it. He did as they instructed in the training but at the same time he kept telling them he would not help them steal and witnessed to them about the kingdom and his knowledge of God. When they took him to the store he did everything they said until he had to actually steal and he refused so they left and once again they beat him but this time they beat him so bad they thought they had killed him. They then took his body to the garbage dump and threw him away like so much garbage but he was still alive and when the truck came to dump the driver seen something move and realized it was a little boy. He survived. This little five year old boy was informed enough and love his God enough to be baptized. This maturity come at different ages and the parent would be the one that knows when that time comes in my opinion.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm

...and that little boy grew up to be Winston Churchill...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby RAP » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:50 pm

No not Winston, just a little boy who was taught what it means to be baptize and who grew into a fine christian man and is now a leader in the Christian Congregation.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby another guest » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 am

interested RAP., who is he?
another guest

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 am

Al Sharpton? :D
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:02 am

You have to really be careful who you let lead your child in what spiritual belief. That is the job of the parent, but is all too often put off onto a church.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby RAP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Al Sharpton? :D

Who is Al Sharpton??? I would never name a name unless the person involved told me to, besides he is grown and does not live anywhere near here. Never did as far as I know.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am

Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Isn't there something called 'the age of accountability'..?
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Next

Return to Christian Forum