Children and becoming a Christian

A forum dedicated to people of the Christian faith.

Re: Children and becoming a Christian

Postby RAP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Don't quote me on this but I think that age came from when Jesus was twelve and was left in Jerusalem and they found him at the temple discussing the scripture with the priest. Mark 2: 41- 52
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Campground Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I believe the age of accountability varies from child to child, depending on their maturity and intelligence. I've seen a few kids under 10 that understood, but on the flip side i've seen 12 year olds that weren't quite there yet.

It all boils down to whether they understand the difference in right and wrong and are to the point of being responsible for their moral actions.
Campground Man
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm

RAP wrote:Don't quote me on this but I think that age came from when Jesus was twelve and was left in Jerusalem and they found him at the temple discussing the scripture with the priest. Mark 2: 41- 52

I think if Jesus was 12 then how could you understand at the age of 9?
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 am

I don't think the bible is stating an age for all children to become accountable I just think the ones that do came up with the age from this bible account about Jesus. I know many children that do understand the seriousness of baptizing at an age less than twelve. I agree with Campground man on this.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby clark bailey » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am

RAP wrote:I don't think the bible is stating an age for all children to become accountable I just think the ones that do came up with the age from this bible account about Jesus. I know many children that do understand the seriousness of baptizing at an age less than twelve. I agree with Campground man on this.

You're right RAP the Scriptures do not state an age of accountability. There are plenty of adults who don't understand the gravity of many choices. My belief is different from most here but 9 is not too young by any means as far as I am concerned.
clark bailey

Postby fairviewcrew » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Campground Man wrote:
Meadow wrote:In my opinion I think 9 is to young, but you are leading her in the right direction.

In most cases I would agree, however when they come to you quoting scriptures and saying the feel they'd be lost if they did die because they know the difference in right in wrong - it's probably not a good idea to discourage it.

I do know of one instance where a parent denied a child because of age - the kid never showed any interest after that and later died as an adult never obeying the gospel.

My sister wanted to be baptized when she was nine, and my mother felt like she was too young. It is my mother's deepest regret. I'm not a church-goer, but this reminded me so much of that situation that I wanted to throw it out there.
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Previous

Return to Christian Forum