Don's fireworks

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Demon Hunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:59 pm

What they spent on those stupid commercials could have easily paid for it.
User avatar
Demon Hunter
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:17 am

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 am

Demon Hunter wrote:What they spent on those stupid commercials could have easily paid for it.


Wow! I was thinking you fellers were totally against handouts? Now you're upset when a local vendor doesn't feel obligated to handout a fireworks display?

Has Walmart ever paid for one? Or CVS Pharmacy? Or any other big franchise you spend your money with?


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Pappy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
Demon Hunter wrote:What they spent on those stupid commercials could have easily paid for it.


Wow! I was thinking you fellers were totally against handouts? Now you're upset when a local vendor doesn't feel obligated to handout a fireworks display?

Has Walmart ever paid for one? Or CVS Pharmacy? Or any other big franchise you spend your money with?

Harlan County has always supported Dons and Macks for as long as I remember, time for the them to give back ill never buy anything from that store again.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I get that Pappy. I don't have a horse in this race and have no clue why Don's isn't sponsoring a fireworks display this year.

If I traded with them (I don't live there.. so I don't), their not sponsoring fireworks this year, just doesn't seem like something that would stop me trading there.

Now if they were abusing their workers, cheating and short changing the public, selling horse meat & roadkill for hamburger meat, etc. well...I would boycott them and try to get it stopped. But not because they decided to stop sponsoring something or somebody. It's a person's or corporation's choice to give or support something. Just because they've been generous to a cause in the past, doesn't obligate them to keep giving. They're entitled to their reasons, same as anybody.

Heck, we may not like it that a relative that never brings a dish to the family's monthly pot luck dinner, but is always the first in line to eat. But we don't slam the door in their face and kick them out of the line.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Pappy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:I get that Pappy. I don't have a horse in this race and have no clue why Don's isn't sponsoring a fireworks display this year.

If I traded with them (I don't live there.. so I don't), their not sponsoring fireworks this year, just doesn't seem like something that would stop me trading there.

Now if they were abusing their workers, cheating and short changing the public, selling horse meat & roadkill for hamburger meat, etc. well...I would boycott them and try to get it stopped. But not because they decided to stop sponsoring something or somebody. It's a person's or corporation's choice to give or support something. Just because they've been generous to a cause in the past, doesn't obligate them to keep giving. They're entitled to their reasons, same as anybody.

Heck, we may not like it that a relative that never brings a dish to the family's monthly pot luck dinner, but is always the first in line to eat. But we don't slam the door in their face and kick them out of the line.

I left Harlan in 1960 joined the Army went to School with Don and watched his fathers business grow because of the people trading with them because of no other places to trade, they ran Kroger out of Harlan and now they don't want to give a little back to the ones who made them rich. I retired from the Army I never and will never go back only for a short visit.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Understand.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:27 am

Just to put it in perspective for you cate. The bypass would be lined with parked cars from the mall to the redlight where long john silvers use to be. On both sides of the road, and every parking lot in between full. One of the owners told someone they didn't make enough profit to have it this year. The cost to them is 10,000. They sell that in coke products on the first.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
User avatar
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather
 
Posts: 20926
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Cate McCalley » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:35 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Just to put it in perspective for you cate. The bypass would be lined with parked cars from the mall to the redlight where long john silvers use to be. On both sides of the road, and every parking lot in between full. One of the owners told someone they didn't make enough profit to have it this year. The cost to them is 10,000. They sell that in coke products on the first.


In most places I've lived the City arranges and pays for annual fireworks display. I'm not familiar enough with how they get the backing for it. Whether or not the Chamber of Commerce is collectively involved, or the extent taxpayer dollars are used to expense them or gain private business sponsorships.

I do know private businesses get tapped for sponsorships day in day out. It's an expectation of the community for businesses to give back something in lieu of the community support. Whether or not Don's Supermarket can afford it may not be the issue. It could be something else. Like an expectation that the City and Chamber of Commerce get their heads together and take responsibility to coordinate the event and share the expense with the rest of the community's businesses. I dunno.

In any case whatever the reason Don's isn't sponsoring the event this year, inadequate notice leaves the community with nothing but anger.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10032
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby CrissyAlwaysSunny » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:56 pm

No Chamber, no tax payer dollars are used. It's all funded by the family who owns Dons. They have the right to choose not to provide a wonderful payback to its customer. The customers can choose to shop else where.
CrissyAlwaysSunny
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:07 am

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Pappy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:47 pm

CrissyAlwaysSunny wrote:No Chamber, no tax payer dollars are used. It's all funded by the family who owns Dons. They have the right to choose not to provide a wonderful payback to its customer. The customers can choose to shop else where.

Yea right where you shop Commissary owned by Harold where you can find French fries and French ticklers on the same isle. :lol:
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby upallnight » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 am

Pappy wrote:
CrissyAlwaysSunny wrote:No Chamber, no tax payer dollars are used. It's all funded by the family who owns Dons. They have the right to choose not to provide a wonderful payback to its customer. The customers can choose to shop else where.

Yea right where you shop Commissary owned by Harold where you can find French fries and French ticklers on the same isle. :lol:


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
upallnight
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Don's fireworks

Postby Cornbread » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 am

Great fireworks show up Evarts last night.
User avatar
Cornbread
Django
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Previous

Return to Harlan General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests