Michelle Obama's Lunch Program: HC! Harlan Ind Joins

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

Michelle Obama's Lunch Program: HC! Harlan Ind Joins

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:19 am

After all the complaints at HCHS and across the nation It surprises me that Harlan Ind would make the decision to join Michelle Obama's Lunch Program.

“Lots of school districts get publicity about doing it, because it’s a great service to the families,” said Morton. “You don’t hear so much about the number of school districts who try it and have to back off because it ends up costing more money to the general fund in the long run. I asked Mrs. Clem to investigate this and see if there was any way it could be done in our environment.”

Their are tons of school districts across the nation that are opting out of the program after one/two years because of complaints, wasted food and overall costs. Nothing is free.

http://harlandaily.com/news/home_top-news/50100514/New-program-offers-free-meals#.U9uEOBakno0
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Harlan Ind Joins Michelle Obama's Lunch Program

Postby ScArEcRoW » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 am

You can tell by looking at her big fat ass she knows how to eat, but admittedly she doesn't know anything about cooking or what kids will and won't eat. They will find out how expensive the program is when they are forced to purchase new equipment every few years.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:32 am

I can tell you for a FACT the county school system isn't doing well in the program.

Let them eat kale. Michelle Obama
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am

Legion wrote:I can tell you for a FACT the county school system isn't doing well in the program.

You might wanna be a little more careful. :D
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Gopher » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:12 pm

I trust there are many intelligent folk up there that can feed kids something wholesome and tasty without sacrificing the lunch program for a few dollars.
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper

Postby Legion » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Legion wrote:I can tell you for a FACT the county school system isn't doing well in the program.

You might wanna be a little more careful. :D

I suppose your right. :?
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby goat47 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm

David Johnson would never have allowed this plate to be put on the councils table.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 pm

goat47 wrote:David Johnson would never have allowed this plate to be put on the councils table.

Nice Pun!
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 am

Gopher wrote:I trust there are many intelligent folk up there that can feed kids something wholesome and tasty without sacrificing the lunch program for a few dollars.

Taste is acquired. Most kids naturally love sweets. The past couple of generations have been brought up on convenience foods, like hot dogs and frozen pizza and a hundred other different products full of salt and preservatives. They prefer these because they have acquired a taste for them. Healthful, wholesome diets take lots of planning and preparation. The school lunch programs will only be as good as their cooks.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
Gopher wrote:I trust there are many intelligent folk up there that can feed kids something wholesome and tasty without sacrificing the lunch program for a few dollars.

Taste is acquired. Most kids naturally love sweets. The past couple of generations have been brought up on convenience foods, like hot dogs and frozen pizza and a hundred other different products full of salt and preservatives. They prefer these because they have acquired a taste for them. Healthful, wholesome diets take lots of planning and preparation. The school lunch programs will only be as good as their cooks.

The kids are screwed. The school needs to make a chart of the number of students who brought their lunch over the past two years, to compare to the next two years.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Demon Hunter » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:08 pm

From re-reading the article the only school to participate will be the Sunshine Preschool. It will be the little ones who will go hungry.
Demon Hunter

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

I would hate to see what the 2014 food pyramid looks like. I recall eggs, meat, bread, cereal, and milk being on it. I suppose now the bread would be whole wheat, and the milk skim.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby fairviewcrew » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Ms. Clem was my 6th-grade teacher and I loved her. I sat in the front row that year and learned a great deal. Our classroom had several rowdy students and her disposition was too sweet to control the hoodlums in the classroom. I'm glad that she found a non-teaching niche in the school district. It sounds like she is serving the district well. She is both smart and kind. She's a real gem. :)
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby Rip Torn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I bet their garbage cans are full after lunch.
Rip Torn

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Rip Torn wrote:I bet their garbage cans are full after lunch.

A good cook can take any vegetable, fruit, meat or dairy product in combination with pantry staples and spices, and make it look and taste great.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Harlan General Discussion