House Hill 278: Minimum Wage Increase

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

House Hill 278: Minimum Wage Increase

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 am

Looks like we have a Bill wanting to raise minimum wage. House Bill 278 would raise the wage less than a dollar each year for three consecutive years until it reaches $10.10 an hour. I suppose this increase because of the way it's implemented in stages.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: House Hill 278: Minimum Wage Increase

Postby upallnight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 am

A slow increase allows a company time to adjust better, and prevents layoff's.
upallnight

Postby ScArEcRoW » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:19 am

Walmart pay's all employees at least $10 a hour now, but they cut hours.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:09 pm

That's good news, but what they increase in wages they cut in benefits, so you will end up in the same position.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Legion wrote:That's good news, but what they increase in wages they cut in benefits, so you will end up in the same position.

You are correct. It's the ole one step forward two steps back scenario. With that said it will help more people than it will hurt.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:28 pm

Legion wrote:That's good news, but what they increase in wages they cut in benefits, so you will end up in the same position.

What benefits? Walmart doesn't provide health care benefits or any other benefit for part timers working 30 hours or less a week. Part Timers are roughly half of Walmart's employee base.

All Walmart will do is increase control of part timer hours to ensure they don't become eligible for benefits, and hire more part timers to replace full time positions at every opportunity.

This incremental minimum wage hike isn't going to take the burden off of John Q. Taxpayer footing the bill for part timers food stamps and medicaid.

I don't know how to obtain information that would show how much profit Walmart makes from food stamp purchases. I suspect it would be more than I would guess, considering retail employees tend to shop where they work.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Foodstamps, Housing, Ect...
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby PharmGirl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:39 pm

All I can say is that it's about time.
PharmGirl

Postby Mermaid » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm happy when people get raises, however if minimum wage keeps going up then I'm just gonna quit my job and work a minimum wage job instead because won't be long till they are making almost as much as I am and I have a college degree and way way way more job responsibilities. :x
Mermaid
The First Lady

Postby GoDan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Minimum wage goes up, hours and positions get cut. Salary employees work more hours for the same pay, but in the long run it's a good thing.
GoDan

Postby CrissyAlwaysSunny » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 pm

It's actually a boost for retailers. Lower to Middle Income families do most of the spending in America. The more money we make, the more money we spend.
CrissyAlwaysSunny

Postby upallnight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

CrissyAlwaysSunny wrote:It's actually a boost for retailers. Lower to Middle Income families do most of the spending in America. The more money we make, the more money we spend.

Your right about that. I have to spend every dime I have just to survive.
upallnight

Postby carbon-15 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:37 pm

When minimum wage increases, the price of goods and services increases, those of us making more than minimum wage don't get a raise, so we effectively take a pay cut! I oppose an increase in minimum wage..
carbon-15
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Briscoe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

carbon-15 wrote:When minimum wage increases, the price of goods and services increases, those of us making more than minimum wage don't get a raise, so we effectively take a pay cut! I oppose an increase in minimum wage..

that's exactly right. when somebody gets something handed to them, somebody somewhere has to pay for it.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Briscoe wrote:
carbon-15 wrote:When minimum wage increases, the price of goods and services increases, those of us making more than minimum wage don't get a raise, so we effectively take a pay cut! I oppose an increase in minimum wage..

that's exactly right. when somebody gets something handed to them, somebody somewhere has to pay for it.

Not according to the Dept. of Labor;

Not true: In a letter to President Obama and congressional leaders urging a minimum wage increase, more than 600 economists, including 7 Nobel Prize winners wrote, "In recent years there have been important developments in the academic literature on the effect of increases in the minimum wage on employment, with the weight of evidence now showing that increases in the minimum wage have had little or no negative effect on the employment of minimum-wage workers, even during times of weakness in the labor market. Research suggests that a minimum-wage increase could have a small stimulative effect on the economy as low-wage workers spend their additional earnings, raising demand and job growth, and providing some help on the jobs front."

http://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/mythbuster

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Harlan General Discussion