Health Insurance

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

Health Insurance

Postby gonegone » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Got my papers from Blue Cross for next year, premium went up $550 per month with no rise in income Guess I won't have insurance next year. Don't know whether to blame Trump or Obama.
gonegone

Re: Health Insurance

Postby Demon Hunter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Obamacare aka The Affordable Care Act had no provision regarding policy, or price restrictions.
Demon Hunter

Postby Pappy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Demon Hunter wrote:Obamacare aka The Affordable Care Act had no provision regarding policy, or price restrictions.

We will all know the answer when Cate sees this post.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 am

Obamacare caused premiums to increase substantially. Everyone don't eat for free. Some of us that work have to pay for it.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Obamacare caused premiums to increase substantially. Everyone don't eat for free. Some of us that work have to pay for it.

Seventeen years ago I was self employed. During which time I kept a traditional 80/20 health insurance policy. The lowest annual increase I got was 18%. The highest 84%, before my monthly premium hit $562 and priced me out of the market and back into an employer sponsored policy with an affordable policy contribution.

My individual policy had no preventative care features other than an annual physical that only included an Office Visit with Lab and a bi-annual Mammogram and covered at 80% within my IPO (Independent Privider Network). I kept increasing my deductibles and co-payments to keep the insurance affordable. I had no serious medical conditions that drove the increases. Other than seeing a doctor once a year for a prescription for hypothyroidism, and twice for anti-biotics for a dermatitis condition and bronchitis, I didn’t have any claims. Yet my premium steadily increases year after year.

Why the uncontrolled premium increases? Cost shifting. Meaning I was paying annual increases based on what the medical care delivery system needed to keep treating people that showed up at emergency rooms, clinics and doctor offices with everything from bad colds to mortal gun shot wounds. Medical care kept spiraling out of control because the people delivering services to people that, couldn’t afford to pay for either the care they received or a health insurance policy needed money to stay operable. The solution? Keep increasing the charges on those that could and would pay.

So...after decades of out of control health care cost burdening private and public industry with Obama’s effort, Congress took responsibility and enacted ‘Obamacare’ that emphasized preventive and urgent (not emergency) care, and assured States that expanded their Medicaid coverage that would pay per-negotiated fees to their medical care delivers, their cost would be reimbursed 100% for the first 3 years and 90% thereafter.

Yet many Republican controlled State legislatures refused to expand their Medicaid programs, leaving millions uninsured. And leaving their medical care delivery system vulnerable to shifting the cost from those that cannot pay, onto those that can pay. States that did expand Medicaid are dependent on federal subsidy reimbursement that Congress did not fund, but were reimbursed by Obama’s EO. An Obama EO now nullified by Trump.

Now you can blame Obama for the ACA that attempts to control medical care cost, but depends on States cooperation and Congressional funding. Or you can blame Trump and Republicans for failing to deliver ‘a beautiful affordable plan that covers eveybody’. Or you can blame all three Obama, Trump and Congress for failing to enact a single payer medical care delivery system that by virtue of volume can control and deliver affordable medical care to everyone.

But most of all, Republican, Democrat or Independent, you can blame your own failure to educate and inform you Congressional representatives. To explicitly inform them exactly how their partisan politics driven by special interest groups, continues to hurt you, your family and our nation. Your failure to let them know people that trusted them to put the common man’s interest before Party politics, are running out of patience . Your Special Interest bought and paid for elected representatives, are not going to own the problem until enough people like yourself, own the problem and take initiative to make their representatives set aside their Party’s politics, and own it too.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Obamacare caused premiums to increase substantially. Everyone don't eat for free. Some of us that work have to pay for it.

Seventeen years ago I was self employed. During which time I kept a traditional 80/20 health insurance policy. The lowest annual increase I got was 18%. The highest 84%, before my monthly premium hit $562 and priced me out of the market and back into an employer sponsored policy with an affordable policy contribution.

My individual policy had no preventative care features other than an annual physical that only included an Office Visit with Lab and a bi-annual Mammogram and covered at 80% within my IPO (Independent Privider Network). I kept increasing my deductibles and co-payments to keep the insurance affordable. I had no serious medical conditions that drove the increases. Other than seeing a doctor once a year for a prescription for hypothyroidism, and twice for anti-biotics for a dermatitis condition and bronchitis, I didn’t have any claims. Yet my premium steadily increases year after year.

Why the uncontrolled premium increases? Cost shifting. Meaning I was paying annual increases based on what the medical care delivery system needed to keep treating people that showed up at emergency rooms, clinics and doctor offices with everything from bad colds to mortal gun shot wounds. Medical care kept spiraling out of control because the people delivering services to people that, couldn’t afford to pay for either the care they received or a health insurance policy needed money to stay operable. The solution? Keep increasing the charges on those that could and would pay.

So...after decades of out of control health care cost burdening private and public industry with Obama’s effort, Congress took responsibility and enacted ‘Obamacare’ that emphasized preventive and urgent (not emergency) care, and assured States that expanded their Medicaid coverage that would pay per-negotiated fees to their medical care delivers, their cost would be reimbursed 100% for the first 3 years and 90% thereafter.

Yet many Republican controlled State legislatures refused to expand their Medicaid programs, leaving millions uninsured. And leaving their medical care delivery system vulnerable to shifting the cost from those that cannot pay, onto those that can pay. States that did expand Medicaid are dependent on federal subsidy reimbursement that Congress did not fund, but were reimbursed by Obama’s EO. An Obama EO now nullified by Trump.

Now you can blame Obama for the ACA that attempts to control medical care cost, but depends on States cooperation and Congressional funding. Or you can blame Trump and Republicans for failing to deliver ‘a beautiful affordable plan that covers eveybody’. Or you can blame all three Obama, Trump and Congress for failing to enact a single payer medical care delivery system that by virtue of volume can control and deliver affordable medical care to everyone.

But most of all, Republican, Democrat or Independent, you can blame your own failure to educate and inform you Congressional representatives. To explicitly inform them exactly how their partisan politics driven by special interest groups, continues to hurt you, your family and our nation. Your failure to let them know people that trusted them to put the common man’s interest before Party politics, are running out of patience . Your Special Interest bought and paid for elected representatives, are not going to own the problem until enough people like yourself, own the problem and take initiative to make their representatives set aside their Party’s politics, and own it too.

Pimping is self employment but we need that verified. :lol:
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby Demon Hunter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:44 pm

The VA is a single payer system and it's a cluster fuck.
Demon Hunter

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Demon Hunter wrote:The VA is a single payer system and it's a cluster fuck.

The VA’s backlog was a direct result of offering the wrong incentive to Administrators. Giving bonuses for meeting quick service and prompt turnover caused Administrators to keep hand written backlogs hidden. There were no checks and balances to to assure the various Administators were not ‘jimmying’ the system.

Systematic routine medical records audits would have prevented such backlogs. This is done everyday hospitals and clinics all over the nation. There are quality assurance agencies within the medical care delivery system, that rate for compliance. Keeping records of every sort with respect to surgical outcomes down to infectious diseases.

Single payer systems have been very successful in terms of medical outcomes for decades now.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Return to Harlan General Discussion