Harlan Food Stamp Scam

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

Harlan Food Stamp Scam

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:46 am

Check out this scam that is currently going on in Harlan.

Use your foodstamps to purchase Coke, Pepsi, or any other name brand soft drink beverages with your food stamp card at a local supermarket.

Take the beverages to the pawn shop and pawn them for cash.

Then the pawn shop sends the drinks back to the supermarket to be resold.

Re: Harlan Food Stamp Scam

Postby RAP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:00 am

This is real!! Don't know about it being sent back to the store but the other is true. Thing is, it is not against the law. To my knowledge there is no law to cover this as a Scam. Now the food stamp program might have something to say about it but I don't think at this time they can legally do anything about it.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:05 am

I hate to disagree with you Rap but that would be considered Food Stamp Trafficking, and is illegal.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby RAP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:20 am

It is not illegal for the store to sell the pop, it is not illegal for the person to buy the pop. It is also not illegal to hock something you own. Where do they break the law? Don't get me wrong I personally think it is atrocious but I don't know of any law they break except moral. The next thing you hear is that we can't buy pop with food stamps. :? :?
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 am

Food Stamp Act (7
U.S.C. 2024). One of the most common
forms of food stamp fraud, known as
food stamp trafficking, involves the
illegal buying or selling of food stamp
benefits for cash, drugs, weapons or
other items of value. Unlawful possession
or use of food stamp benefits in an
amount of $100 or more is a felony;
less than $100 is a misdemeanor.

I would consider that selling "benefits for cash".

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/foodstamp.PDF
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby fairviewcrew » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Food Stamp Act (7

I could be very wrong, but I think there is some sort of loop hole with that as well. I think that once the actual food is in the benefit holder's possession that it is not illegal. Swapping the benefits on the card for cash is very illegal, but people in Fairview used to do it all the time.

Someone told me that there was a little store in Harlan County where one can still buy gas and cigarettes with food stamps. (I forget where! One of those little communities along 119.)
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby RAP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 pm

When this happens the store owner is the one who is breaking the law. All I have ever known that can happen to the food stamp recipient is that their food stamps will be cut off if they are caught. I have known of quite a few back years ago that had credit with little stores and they could buy anything that was in the store and pay with food stamps. That is how they got their soap, shampoo, cleaning supplies ect.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby RAP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:31 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Food Stamp Act (7

I sound like I know a lot more than I do but, if you sell your stamps for so and so amount of cash and the person who buys the stamps uses the card you can be charged with fraud. If the person who gets the stamps buy the food and pays for it themselves. No one has broken the law, not the store or the person paying with their stamps. But if they give the food to another person for money are they breaking the law? How could you prove they are doing it? I don't think they could because both persons involved would be guilty and would not admit it. I have given people food right out of my cabinets because they were hungry. You see where I am going? What kind of law could they come up with to cover this kind of deviousness?
RAP
The Waltons

Postby DarkFairy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:47 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Food Stamp Act (7

I have to disagree with you about that, they are not "buying the benefits" or giving cash for benefits on the card, the pawn shops are buying pop that was bought with the benefits. The person didn't exchange money for benefits, they legally bought items with it and then took those items to pawn them. Both are completely legal.

I don't agree with the actions but I don't see it as illegal either.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm going to stick with my belief that it is defrauding the Federal Government and more specifically the Department of Agriculture.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Heard it for years » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:32 pm

That is exactly why I choose not to shop @ a particular grocery store due to the relationship with a particular pawn shop also in town.
Daggone it. Legal or not, it shouldn't happen. I thought all business owners were honest LOL
Heard it for years

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm

RAP wrote:This is real!! Don't know about it being sent back to the store but the other is true. Thing is, it is not against the law. To my knowledge there is no law to cover this as a Scam. Now the food stamp program might have something to say about it but I don't think at this time they can legally do anything about it.

You just go ahead and salve your conscience... That program was actually meant to feed hungry children... It was supposed to be temporary till they could get on their feet... It is a privilege not a right... When they pawn what they buy with food stamps for cash that relates to food taken from a child's mouth... When they buy with it drugs or video game consoles it is misuse of public funds and abuse of public trust... Yeah, I'd say that is a crime... Why are you so defensive about this..? By the way when did you become able to buy pop with foodies..? I remember when that program first started you couldn't buy anything like that... No pop, no chips, no cakes or candy... I'm sure cigarettes and beer will be added on there soon enough now... People didn't wear them like a badge of honor then either... People of that day weren't proud of being on assistance... Wouldn't have been, had it not been absolutely necessary...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Guest DD » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 pm

RAP wrote:It is not illegal for the store to sell the pop, it is not illegal for the person to buy the pop. It is also not illegal to hock something you own. Where do they break the law? Don't get me wrong I personally think it is atrocious but I don't know of any law they break except moral. The next thing you hear is that we can't buy pop with food stamps. :? :?

You have got the moral issue wrong sir. That is fraud if I have ever seen it. Knowingly buying these products with intent of turning this sale into cash. The pawn shop should ask to to see the receipt of these items and the store should know very well this was wrong by getting the items back especially from a damn pawn shop.
Guest DD

Postby RAP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:58 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I'm going to stick with my belief that it is defrauding the Federal Government and more specifically the Department of Agriculture.

Oh I believe that it is fraud against the government even if just in principle only, that would just be dumb not to!! But what I am saying is there is no law yet to cover it that I know of. Not what I feel personally about the right or wrong of it but a law that covers it. Even if they do manage to come up with something people like this will find a way they always do. That is why they came up with the cards because the coupons could not be proven who they belonged to.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 pm

RAP wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I'm going to stick with my belief that it is defrauding the Federal Government and more specifically the Department of Agriculture.

Oh I believe that it is fraud against the government even if just in principle only, that would just be dumb not to!! But what I am saying is there is no law yet to cover it that I know of. Not what I feel personally about the right or wrong of it but a law that covers it. Even if they do manage to come up with something people like this will find a way they always do. That is why they came up with the cards because the coupons could not be proven who they belonged to.

food stamp fraud, known as
other items of value.

This sounds like a law to me... It's fraud, and fraud is still illegal, at least I think it is... You never know anymore...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Next

Return to Harlan General Discussion