Harlan Food Stamp Scam

Discuss random Harlan County topics.

Re: Harlan Food Stamp Scam

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Don't believe it. These receipts don't prove anything.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:27 pm

I will provide more receipts... Then we will discuss goofball BS.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I will provide more receipts... Then we will discuss goofball BS.

You have to admit the two you posted are suspect.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I will provide more receipts... Then we will discuss goofball BS.

Whos your snitch? Someones gonna figure out who the clerk is and whup their ass. :lol:
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:10 am

Cate McCalley wrote:

You have to admit the two you posted are suspect.

Without a doubt it's suspect.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby goat47 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Mermaid wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:
Mermaid wrote:Think I'll quit my job and have lots of babies!! That's more than my months income!

Better don't. This is some intentional or unintentional goofball B.S.

I just don't understand shit sometimes. I work my ass off every day to provide for me and my son and I can't get any help at all!! Not one red cent....
But these fuckers can get $1200-2400 a month in food stamps. I cannot even believe it...

Join the club. Your people Cate!
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:12 pm

goat47 wrote:
I just don't understand shit sometimes. I work my ass off every day to provide for me and my son and I can't get any help at all!! Not one red cent....
But these fuckers can get $1200-2400 a month in food stamps. I cannot even believe it...

Join the club. Your people Cate![/quote]

My people??? Please explain. We all know the working poor struggle to survive. And the non-working poor even more so.

Mermaid is under the impression a family (size not confimed) receives $1200 to $2400 a month in food stamps. She is basing this on a highly suspect receipt that someone had a $999.64 balance on an EBT Card.

Again nothing proven that any family receives such a monthly brnefit. The only proof she is basing her outrage on is the fact that somebody sent GFunk a highly suspect receipt. I emphasize highly suspect because both receipts show the same EBT Card account number. Both were for very debits from the account, and both showed a time difference of the transactions in less than 5 hours. Both receipts show a cash balance of $1.22.

There's many explanations how such a receipt could come into existence. I would hope that an investigation would uncover the truth of the matter. I highly doubt that any family that does not include a disabled or elderly senior person is receiving close to such a benefit, even with a family of six.

A quick check on a SNAP benefit calculator, where I entered a family of 6 with one of them disabled person drawing $900 a month in Social Security Disability or Social Security income, no other income shown with the family paying $400 a month rent with a utility subsidy of $130 a month resulted in a SNAP benefit of $826.00 a month. SNAP benefit eligibilty guidelines vary from state to state.

Now, please explain how a family of six with a maximum income of $900 a month, paying $400 a month rent (subsidized or not) receiving a maximum credit of $130 for their utility expense which on average is $200 a month is receiving SNAP benefits more than just enough to barely survive?

I have two in my family. Plus a dog and a cat. My grocery expense is NEVER less than $800 a month. We do not eat out more than once a month, and never spend more than $50 a month for outside prepared food. I cook two meals every single day, sparing leftovers that are used weekly to supplement one meal a day. With the exception of rotissaire chicken, I rarely ever purchase convenience foods, such as premade hamburger patties, or microwavable dinners, etc.

Frankly, I can't imagine trying to put 60 nutritious meals on the table to feed 6 people for thirty days on $826.00 a month. I may be able to do it if I was able to buy rice, potatoes, cornmeal, beans, flour, oil/vegetable shortening, eggs, chicken, limited pork, powdered milk, canned goods, sugar, oat meal, and seasonings in bulk at some place that sold institutionalized size goods and accepted EBT Cards. But I would not be able to buy any fresh produce or fruit, nuts or whole grains, processed meats, beef, butter, whole milk or cheese on that kind of budget. No way!! I don't believe it's possible to nutritiously feed 6 people on $826.00 a month.

Even with a Social Security benefit of $900 a month, rent must be paid, medicine and medical care deductibles and dental care met, utilities and non-food drygoods purchased, transportation cost paid, and any liabilty or death insurance policies paid. Not including any conveniences like a phone for non-emergency chatter, a TV or internet service, maintenance of an automobile, utilities outside of heat and cooling a house...such as water, sewage and waste disposal fees.

So tell me again how good it is to be so poor you must depend on SNAP benefits to barely feed your famiky those incomplete nutritional meals???

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Mermaid » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:04 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
goat47 wrote:

Join the club. Your people Cate!

My people??? Please explain. We all know the working poor struggle to survive. And the non-working poor even more so.

Mermaid is under the impression a family (size not confimed) receives $1200 to $2400 a month in food stamps. She is basing this on a highly suspect receipt that someone had a $999.64 balance on an EBT Card.

Again nothing proven that any family receives such a monthly brnefit. The only proof she is basing her outrage on is the fact that somebody sent GFunk a highly suspect receipt. I emphasize highly suspect because both receipts show the same EBT Card account number. Both were for very debits from the account, and both showed a time difference of the transactions in less than 5 hours. Both receipts show a cash balance of $1.22.

There's many explanations how such a receipt could come into existence. I would hope that an investigation would uncover the truth of the matter. I highly doubt that any family that does not include a disabled or elderly senior person is receiving close to such a benefit, even with a family of six.

A quick check on a SNAP benefit calculator, where I entered a family of 6 with one of them disabled person drawing $900 a month in Social Security Disability or Social Security income, no other income shown with the family paying $400 a month rent with a utility subsidy of $130 a month resulted in a SNAP benefit of $826.00 a month. SNAP benefit eligibilty guidelines vary from state to state.

Now, please explain how a family of six with a maximum income of $900 a month, paying $400 a month rent (subsidized or not) receiving a maximum credit of $130 for their utility expense which on average is $200 a month is receiving SNAP benefits more than just enough to barely survive?

I have two in my family. Plus a dog and a cat. My grocery expense is NEVER less than $800 a month. We do not eat out more than once a month, and never spend more than $50 a month for outside prepared food. I cook two meals every single day, sparing leftovers that are used weekly to supplement one meal a day. With the exception of rotissaire chicken, I rarely ever purchase convenience foods, such as premade hamburger patties, or microwavable dinners, etc.

Frankly, I can't imagine trying to put 60 nutritious meals on the table to feed 6 people for thirty days on $826.00 a month. I may be able to do it if I was able to buy rice, potatoes, cornmeal, beans, flour, oil/vegetable shortening, eggs, chicken, limited pork, powdered milk, canned goods, sugar, oat meal, and seasonings in bulk at some place that sold institutionalized size goods and accepted EBT Cards. But I would not be able to buy any fresh produce or fruit, nuts or whole grains, processed meats, beef, butter, whole milk or cheese on that kind of budget. No way!! I don't believe it's possible to nutritiously feed 6 people on $826.00 a month.

Even with a Social Security benefit of $900 a month, rent must be paid, medicine and medical care deductibles and dental care met, utilities and non-food drygoods purchased, transportation cost paid, and any liabilty or death insurance policies paid. Not including any conveniences like a phone for non-emergency chatter, a TV or internet service, maintenance of an automobile, utilities outside of heat and cooling a house...such as water, sewage and waste disposal fees.

So tell me again how good it is to be so poor you must depend on SNAP benefits to barely feed your famiky those incomplete nutritional meals???[/quote]

Cate, honey, it's not the fact that they're getting benefits that bothers me so much. It's that a lot of the families that are getting these benefits are just as capable as I am of holding down a job and working for their income. I do my part and pay my taxes yet I struggle and live paycheck to paycheck and rob Peter to pay Paul and I'm lucky to make it, yet these families who are able to work sit back and get the benefits that I am working for them to have, yet I'm still struggling. I understand when families aren't able to work because of disabilities or other circumstances. But when you see someone you know getting these types of benefits, and you know they can get out and bust their ass for their cash just like you but they won't, it makes you suspicious and outraged!!! And if it didn't, what would that say about you??? I know I work hard every day at my job and I love my job, sometimes, but why can I not get just a little help when I need it?? Just a little?? I'm helping these families getting benefits by working... but I can't get help myself??
Mermaid
The First Lady

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Mermaid wrote:
Cate, honey, it's not the fact that they're getting benefits that bothers me so much. It's that a lot of the families that are getting these benefits are just as capable as I am of holding down a job and working for their income. I do my part and pay my taxes yet I struggle and live paycheck to paycheck and rob Peter to pay Paul and I'm lucky to make it, yet these families who are able to work sit back and get the benefits that I am working for them to have, yet I'm still struggling. I understand when families aren't able to work because of disabilities or other circumstances. But when you see someone you know getting these types of benefits, and you know they can get out and bust their ass for their cash just like you but they won't, it makes you suspicious and outraged!!! And if it didn't, what would that say about you??? I know I work hard every day at my job and I love my job, sometimes, but why can I not get just a little help when I need it?? Just a little?? I'm helping these families getting benefits by working... but I can't get help myself??

I completely understand. 40 years ago I was in your exact same shoes. There is a big disconnect on the part of lawmakers that do not understand the inequities the exist between the working poor and the poor that either cannot work, or will not work.

This is the biggest reason I support federal regional income based (not state) guidelines for all non-entitlement programs. Although welfare, TANF & SNAP programs are considered entitlements, they are not. They are all taxpayer, public government assisted programs. Not entitlements. They were never meant to provide more than a safety net for those that might slip through the cracks and find themselves unable to work for a period of time, myriad of legitimate reasons.

It's extremely unfair to penalize the working poor for their ambition and work ethic, while at the same time rewarding those that refuse to contribute to our society. A federal regional poverty line adjustment is necessary to correct the abuses of welfare prevalent in today's system.

In any event no adult that is able to work should receive benefits of any kind unless they are employed, enrolled in school (remedial, vocational or other accredited) or volunteering with any public service, non-profit or government institution. Placing people in non-private jobs where private industry jobs don't exist, and creating volunteer programs will not subsidize private industry, nor will it create a glut of workers for private industry jobs that would drive wages down further. The idea is not to compete with established labor, while creating a mechanism to absorb those on welfare that are eligible to work in jobs that are available. Creating volunteer jobs in industries that could use the help would actually help those volunteering in acquiring for employment for positions that may come available in a more robust economy i.e., nursing homes, extra curricula school programs, food pantries, shelters, animal control, forest cultivation, liter refuse and environmental clean up, elderly home care assistance. And dozens of other areas of volunteer need that exist.

When one can barely exist working, and one can barely exist not working, what's the point of working? The able poor that are not working must be incented to work. And the able poor that are working must be rewarded and incented to stay in the workforce.

For example if it cost $30,000 a year in your region to provide the basic food, shelter and medical care for one person and you're working earning a net income is $15,000 a year after taxes, you should be entiled to $15,000 a year in subsidies to meet your basic needs. Whether that be housing, food, transportation to get you to and from your job, equipment and or clothing required for you to produce an income.

I know it's much better to work with the hope of improving your standard of living, than to give up and live to exist. I know because I struggled without an education. I know for a fact in terms of earning a living, that I could not do today what I was able to do 30 years ago. The opportunities to break out of the working poor to the lower middle class and on to the middle class, no longer exist for anyone that does not have an advanced degree, or the talent and backing to create a small niche business. That is a harsh fact. For this reason the entire government assistance initiative must be re-examined and adjusted to meet the needs of helping those that are dependent become less so, with the goal of helping those that are working toward complete independence get there.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Demon Hunter » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:50 pm

The Judicial Watch has reported that the U.S. gives 7 billion dollars in food stamp benefits to ineligible recipients. How's that for waste.
Demon Hunter

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Demon Hunter wrote:The Judicial Watch has reported that the U.S. gives 7 billion dollars in food stamp benefits to ineligible recipients. How's that for waste.

It pales in comparison to the billions wasted arming foreign armys and rebels that did not and never will obtain the desired result.

Army's such as Iraq that left billions of U.S. Dollars in equipment seized by terrorist. How about the billions spent in Afghanistan over the past 14 years? Every year Congress hears how more time is needed to stabilize Afghanastan. Even as they hear admissions of failures to engage human capitol there to help stabilize it. Admissions that Afghanstan's on the payroll never show up for work, and those that do are uneven and inconsistent". We won't go into the billions wasted on Syria arming moderates that turn to terrorist, not fighting Assad but instead killing Syrians and Iraqi's that refused their territory takeover.

We could go all the way back to the colassal failure of the Bay of Pigs. But what's the point? Your question about the waste our government absorbs feeding ineligible people in this country, is laughable in comparison to the colossal waste our government spends on foreign country regime change attempts.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby upallnight » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:19 am

You are correct Cate, but two wrongs don't make it right.
upallnight

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:42 am

upallnight wrote:You are correct Cate, but two wrongs don't make it right.

I'm not inferring that it does. Only pointing out that government waste that cost billions upon billions of dollars used to extinguish the lives of millions, isn't in the same category of domestic 'waste' in the food stamp program.

Nobody approves of government waste. The term takes on a different meaning when we look at the total heinous waste of human lives, in comparison to a waste of resources found in food stamp fraud. A program that actually does have the positive benefit of meeting a survival need, keeping food available in rural areas and helping those economies.

I don't think amassing trillions of dollars of war debt in the Middle East has done anything but increase threats to our national security, created the worst recession in our history, and taken our country away from the power of democratic voices of the many, to the plutocratic voices of a few.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby CrissyAlwaysSunny » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 am

I personally know of several people who purchase food stamps for .50 on the dollar.
CrissyAlwaysSunny

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:25 am

CrissyAlwaysSunny wrote:I personally know of several people who purchase food stamps for .50 on the dollar.

Not sure, but I think the penalty for the person obtaining food stamps if they are found ineligible to receive them, may be as minor as having to pay back the amount they used.

The other type of fraud, receiving and using foodstamps of another authorized receipient in the amount over $100 is a felony.

I'm not suggesting anyone report suspected food stamp fraud, unless they know the fraud is intentional and positive and that a felony has been committed. There are times people may feel forced to sell some of their food stamp allotment to meet an emergency, like keeping their electric on, or buying medicine they need, etc.

As far as food stamp receipients buying pop, or other items and reselling them at a significant discounted price, the government can easily spot this activity through computer sales tracking. If they want to stop it, they can.

In any case if you know of flagrant abuse and you want to report it here's the info:

USDA, Office of Inspector General
111 N. Canal Street, Suite 1130 Chicago, IL 60606-7295
(312) 353-1358 Fax (312) 353-8963

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan General Discussion