Something Aint Right !!

This area is for the discussion of high profile cases within Harlan County. From here you will be able to inquire on cases, judgments, laws, and charges in the public court system.

Re: Something Aint Right !!

Postby mac » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 pm

auz wrote:just because he found some god and appeared to change doesn't change the fact that he broke the law. if the situation was the same and the only difference was he killed someone would you still feel the same?

Starburst, I certainly don't mean to demean your concerns, but as Everett R. McGill said to Delmer in Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou", when Delmer said his sins had been washed away: "Delmer, the State of Mississippi is considerably more hard-nosed." I am, though, quite sympathetic. "All things work together for good...." I'll not quote it all but I'm sure you know the whole passage.
mac

Postby Brat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Fox wrote:How can a judge "know" everyone that comes before him/her?

I was using HIS words, not mine. He is the one who claimed to KNOW this person well enough to decide that letting them out of jail early wasn't a good idea because he KNEW they would just get right back into trouble again. Since I personally KNOW this person as well as anyone on earth possibly can, I can honestly say he is full of something smelly. JMO but for what its worth, there it is...
Brat
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Starburst » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Oh Mac !!!!
Gotta luv anyone who quotes lines from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" :D
Starburst

Postby sadie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:59 pm

ok this is coming from someone who has been there done that back in 2004 i got in trouble for selling drugs not to get rich quick but just to feed my own habbit i down about 2 weeks in jail befour i ever got out i was really good at lying and making everyone believe that i had seen the light and i had changed WRONG the same day i got out i went right back to using i had it waiting outside on me the judge believed me lines of BS and put me on probation he truly believed that i was gonna do right this was but guess what come dec. of 2005 i got busted again i had russle alred for my lawyer i already knew that i was gone for a while russle did everythibg he could to help me but god had a plan for me i had to go through what i did i did 2 years flat but honestly i would be dead right now if i wouldnt have went to prision when i did i have been clean for 4 years NOW and fill better than i have ever felt i am so thankful i did go i just wonder though would i have the same out come if i wouldve had to do more than 2 weeks the first time i honestly cant sayfor sure i just know this that i am clean and sober now and grateful that i have my life back
sadie

Postby Brat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Sadie, that is a wonderful story and I am truly thankful that you were able to get clean and used the penal system for that! I wish you everything good and wonderful in your life to help you stay clean.

The person I was talking about committed the crime 2 years before going to jail. They were completely clean and had been for over 9 months! (and still are after close to 3 years) They did not "qualify" for drug court because they were already clean. All that was leaft was to do the time. Now, this person was guilty of what they did. Didn't even try and deny it. They TOOK someone to get drugs, at the request of the dealer (the co-defendant) and the user (the rat who had the recording device). The person I know was a user and did it to get drugs for themself. Not for money, just for drugs.

The Rat had gotten caught earlier and got off for setting this person up. The dealer, (co-defendant) spent a month or so in jail. He also ratted on everyone he knew, including his own father. NOW, the dealer is in another town, stealing identities and still dealing and doing drugs. He was NOT clean and got drug court and every possible other thing he could be offered for "early" release of the few months he got. The person I know now has a federal record and has lost a lot of the rights of a citizen. Can't find a job cause they have a record.

The person I know got 10 years for dealing. Never been in trouble before. Had no idea what to expect. Spent a year in jail. A lot of that time in one of the worst hell-holes in the state. Saw people abused. Neglected. Treated like trash. Was themself neglected and denied proper medical treatment. FOR A YEAR. Was actually put into solitary for over 2 weeks because someone else got lice and their hair was really thick and it would be too hard to get lice out of it. Slept for quite a while on the floor cause there were not enough beds.

Have you ever tried to sleep at night in your nice warm bed when someone you loved was sleeping on a floor with a blanket that didn't even completely cover their body? Knowing they were in pain, and wondering what would happen to them? AFRAID to tell you on the phone or in a letter because the guards might retaliate if they said something? Have you ever tried to sit down to a good meal while knowing one of your loved ones was eating a bare minimum diet that left them hungry and wanting more? Have you ever been scared that someone you cared about for their whole life would die because no one gave a damn about them?

From the comments on here, I can tell some of you haven't got a clue what the reality is like. Trust me, I know. My family knows. And until you've been there, I suggest you take it easy on the "woulda shoulda coulda's. You just might get a taste of it someday and you won't like it.
Brat
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby sadie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 pm

i myself have not had to worry about someone like that BUT my family has they went through the same thing when i too was in prision but you have to remember i was on the streets getting high they worried then too so it was lose lose but when my mom wrote me and said that one of my childhood friends had overdosed and that all she could think of when she saw her in that coffen all she saw was ME i know you must be worried sick over your loved one doing time where is he locked up at if you dont mind me asking i was at several different places i will keep your family in my prayers maybe god put him there to help someone else to guide someone else back to him i know for myself prision SAVED my life please let me know if there is anything i can do for you or any of your family tell him to hang in there and kept the faith god want give him more than he can handle i do agree with you that the law should NOT bust people the way they do 2 wrongs doesnt make a right 99% of the people who RAT are drug addicts themselvesTHEY GIVE THEM 100.00 TO BUST PEOPLE all they are doing is giving them MONEY to buy more dope with NOW TELL ME HOW IS THAT RIGHT they too should go to jail
sadie

Postby Bushwhacker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 am

It seems to me its kinda of standard practice that when the druggies get caught around here, is to: First get into Church, then tell everyone how you have changed and that you were naughty. Second, develop a health problem.

If you want to stay out of the grey bar motel, stay away from drugs and don't break the law. This seems kinda simple to me. :|
Bushwhacker

Postby standing alone » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:58 pm

brat i know exactly how you feel . i am a first time offender on drug charges , i can't blame anyone but myself, I've been clean now for almost a year...but it does seem like some people get a lot lesser time while others get a bomb dropped on them. i two have never been in trouble before but am facing 11 years and i hope to get drug court but if not i will do the time. hope for the best for your friend.
standing alone

Postby wondering » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 pm

how is it that some repeat offendeds get drug court right off the bat even when they have alot of different charges and someone who has never been in trouble before gets a much harsher sentence? i know of a girl who was never in trouble before, had no past drug charges but now is faceing 11 years, how can one like this get drug court? just wondering ?
wondering

Postby Brat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:24 pm

The person I was talking about was actually told TO DO DRUGS before the drug court hearing. That way they would test "dirty". They were also told to tell them anything they needed to tell them to convince the interviewers that they were an addict! Now they had been clean for a long time and are not in the habit of lying...

Pray tell me how this is good or right? How is a system that is run this way able to help anyone? There is no way I could possibly lie like this. I was not brought up to lie cheat or steal and to me, this would be against everything I believe about myself. This person was also brought up this way and decided to be honest. They are not in jail now and are still clean and planning to stay that way, but due to the felony charges, cannot get a job anywhere! How are people supposed to support themselves? The only option is for either their family to help out with support (which is what is happening) or for them to actually turn to illegal activities to EAT. I feel for those who do not have support from their families. They are trying to get their lives straight and are unable due to their felony charges! Seems like they have NO options.
Brat
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:05 pm

DarkFairy wrote:I agree Rap, the punishment for first time drug offenders seems a bit ridiculous at times. I understand this area has a large amount of drug offenses but to jack up the sentencing on a first time offender is not sensible, give the person a chance to change before banging the hammer down on them and ruining their life. ...

DarkFairy, you must have psychic powers. You should print this out for the judge, might help you.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Fox wrote:I know it is frustrating, but I wonder how many times the judge hears about an offender "finding religion" or "getting saved." I don't think this should necessarily be a part of a judge's decision IMO. If it is a true conversion then that is absolutely wonderful. The person will have a wide open field to sow the Word while they are doing their time.

There have been instances where a judge puts a "first caught offender" in jail to protect them! Many relatives take offense to threats or abuse of their kin.

Postby RAP » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Guest wrote:
DarkFairy wrote:I agree Rap, the punishment for first time drug offenders seems a bit ridiculous at times. I understand this area has a large amount of drug offenses but to jack up the sentencing on a first time offender is not sensible, give the person a chance to change before banging the hammer down on them and ruining their life. ...

DarkFairy, you must have psychic powers. You should print this out for the judge, might help you.

You need to back off Guest! How shallow your life must be. What have you done to get this woman in jail you sure seem to like getting revenge. Are you going to go to each of her post and make snotty remarks? If that gets you off have at it sicko. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Skyedancer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 am

Guest wrote:

Guest I really wish you would grow the balls and register or more likely actually post under your registered name. Maybe then you wouldn't be so quick to run your mouth.

Then again it wont happen..guests and fish are both the same, okay at first, but they both start to stink in a few days.
Skyedancer
Rainbow Bright

Postby standing alone » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:22 pm

what happens if the court appointed lawer doesent show up for court date's? mine has missed 2 or 3 of mine and she never calls to let me know anything. i don't know who else to ask ? but i've already been to court 7 or 8 times... does anyone know?
standing alone

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Judicial Discussion