Storm Damage

A place to post news-related photos observed throughout the county. Ex: fires, political events, meetings. NO VEHICLE ACCIDENT PHOTOS.

Re: Storm Damage

Postby Nikki » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:46 pm

You should call places like Big Lots and the Dollar store because they do donations sometimes... I know our assistant manager usually gives u guys a call when we have food that is going out or something.
If you don't like my opinion, you don't have to read it.
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby stress kills » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 pm

what kind of treats Jennifer put like a list of specifics on here so we have a better idea just what to get
stress kills

Postby Jennifer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:14 pm

We use Milk-bone ( or off brands), those little meat sticks ( I use pupperoni) we use anything we get..

As for adult food, they use a mixture of Beneful and Dog Chow.. But at this point we will take anything! They will be taking donations at the shelter till 7pm today..
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby stress kills » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 pm

can I bring stuff tomorrow just got to check back in
stress kills

Postby den » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:11 pm

There was 1 1974 it came down in yancey I know I was there the only damage was to trees missed all the house an as we went up the mtn. you could see where it hit one side of the holler an then the other an there was a hickory tree about 10 t0 12 in at the ground an about 20 ft high an it was bent over lick a bow.
den

Postby guester » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:20 pm

the tornado did alot of damage in 74 , on Catrons Creek .Like Den said, there were big trees uprooted. at the Church that sits on the hill , it blew the roof off which was a tin roof at the time. Tin strown everywhere on the mountain above the church it blew down several trees, blew windows out. As far as I know , no one was hurt . The people in this area it hit were just blessed.
guester

Postby RAP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 pm

If you say so Den I believe you but I have never seen or heard of a funnel cloud hitting the ground in our area. I know we have had some hellacious winds though and wind can so a lot of damage. :) :)
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm

den wrote:There was 1 1974 it came down in yancey I know I was there the only damage was to trees missed all the house an as we went up the mtn. you could see where it hit one side of the holler an then the other an there was a hickory tree about 10 t0 12 in at the ground an about 20 ft high an it was bent over lick a bow.

It broke a light pole and it landed in the bed with Preacher Ray...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby RAP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:29 pm

GUEST wrote:Tornado Information For Harlan County, Kentucky
On 05/26/2004, a tornado touched down 14.42 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities.

On 04/04/1974, a tornado touched down 14.7 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $50 to $500.

On 06/22/1990, a tornado touched down 14.74 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $5,000 to $50,000.

On 03/27/1983, a tornado touched down 14.83 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $500 to $5,000.

On 05/26/2004, a tornado touched down 14.92 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities.

Thank you Guest this information was very interesting to me. I find it strange that all of these were 14 miles plus from the center of the county. I tried to do a quick search and could not find where the center is located. I also noticed there were no category above I and only two of the five listed as I. Also there were no fatalities and damage done was by far small in comparison to most. Maybe that is why I had never heard of this before, it was not highly publicized for these reason.

The information gave me a feeling of security because as I said before the mountains protect us from the kind of weather currents necessary for tornados to stay formed.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:54 pm

On 03/27/1983, a tornado touched down 14.83 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $500 to $5,000.

I was out in this one...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Fox » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 pm

ya reckon state farm will be paying to have that sign fixed??
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby RAP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:47 am

Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:On 03/27/1983, a tornado touched down 14.83 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $500 to $5,000.

I was out in this one...

Where was it in the county Jaw? I guess I have been lucky, I have never been in one, high winds but no funnel. I have lived at the bottom of but close to mountains almost all of my life here in Harlan. Mostly on highway 72 and here in fairview holler. :D :D
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:59 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:So far only one county had a confirmed toronado.

What county?
Unbridled Spirit

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 am

Correction: Two confirmed tornado's touched down one in Menifee County and Wolfe County.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 pm

RAP wrote:
Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:On 03/27/1983, a tornado touched down 14.83 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $500 to $5,000.

I was out in this one...

Where was it in the county Jaw? I guess I have been lucky, I have never been in one, high winds but no funnel. I have lived at the bottom of but close to mountains almost all of my life here in Harlan. Mostly on highway 72 and here in fairview holler. :D :D

Smith...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County News Photos