Benham City Cop Shoots Mama Bear

Post whatever gossip you might have heard. Please do not post personal attacks or comments that may be deemed slanderous.

Re: Benham City Cop Shoots Mama Bear

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Skyedancer wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:
Skyedancer wrote:I don't think this a rumor. A reliable source posted a notice on FB for anyone spotting a cub to call the Police.

Why? So the cops can shoot them too?

I don't think so. The post I read was that a momma bear had died and left two cubs. The person posting asking for people to call the police is a real animal lover. I'm pretty sure he would never post that if he thought for a moment, it would put the cubs in danger.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry, you misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that they person posting that wanted them shot. I meant the cruelty of the cop involved if he did just shoot the mother when she wasn't acting in a threatening manner. I understand the danger that a bear poses, but there are non lethal ways of resolving a problem like this one if it happened the way that was posted. Tranquilizing and relocating for instance.
I worry because we don't know the age of the cubs. It could vary from 6 months to 2 years depending on when they were born. With autumn and winter coming, if the cubs are on the younger end of that scale, they face almost certain death without their mother.
[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood. Didn't want you to worry. I don't know about black bears, but Kodiak males will kill cubs when there is any kind of food shortage. Let's hope the cubs are rescued.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
Briscoe wrote:they'll keep it up til they get peta in here, harassing everything on two legs.

I don't think this a rumor. A reliable source posted a notice on FB for anyone spotting a cub to call the Police.

Did ur momma have any kids that lived?
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 am

Pappy wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I had someone call and inform me that a Benham City Police officer shot and killed a mother bear in the Gap Branch section of the Tri-Cities. I was told that the bear was being non threatening, and the officer shot the bear as soon as he arrived on the scene. The mother bear rolled down the mtn side, and the cubs scrambled to get into the trees.

Was it a black Bear? Did it have its Paws up? Call Al.

I about fell over laughing. :lol:
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:45 am

I was told that Fish & Wildlife are investigating the shooting.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:38 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I was told that Fish & Wildlife are investigating the shooting.

That could be good.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Skyedancer wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:
Briscoe wrote:they'll keep it up til they get peta in here, harassing everything on two legs.

I don't think this a rumor. A reliable source posted a notice on FB for anyone spotting a cub to call the Police.

Why? So the cops can shoot them too?

It makes them feel big and bad.
Legion
Always A Bride

Previous

Return to Harlan County Gossip