War on coal and poor people claims major casualty...

Post whatever gossip you might have heard. Please do not post personal attacks or comments that may be deemed slanderous.

Re: War on coal and poor people claims major casualty...

Postby Cate McCalley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:52 am

A larger percentage of stores Walmart is closing are in rural TX and other more rural locations. Most Supercenters aren't going to be touched. A lot of their experimental "Express" stores and a few "Neighborhood Market" stores will be the greater portion of the stores closing in the U.S. I haven t been to an "Express" Walmart, but I have visited a few of their "Neighborhood Markets". They are what I call "impersonal". Dark cement flooring, halogen lighting. Nothing that would inspire one to want to throw a backyard grill party, or have a few friends over for potluck and a game Hearts or such. Prices still higher on meat than the supermarket I've traded with for years. Enough on Walmart's impersonal approach to marketing.

It seems to me targeting mainly the "Express" stores and a few of their "Neighborhood Markets" has more to do with the price of oil, which many economist are predicting will fall to the mid to high twenties over the next 2 or 3 years. Cheaper gas prices means more mobility for the average shopper in rural areas. Why use an Express store when you can travel to a one stop shopping Super Store?

The declining oil prices will strengthen the value of U.S. dollar value. Which in turn will affect exports negatively. The higher value of the dollar crimps the purchasing power of other countries to buy U.S. products, at the same time making imports more affordable. Which means nothing unless U.S. wages are increased to a point low waged workers can buy those imports. Even with fuel costing less to get people to and from their jobs, and lowering the cost of products transported to the super market shelves, people still have to pay their auto and home debts. Reduced transportation cost can't offset stagnant wages enough in low paying jobs for low end consumers to feel they can afford to spend anything extra on something they would like to have, but don't really 'need'.

In sum Walmart is closing less than 1% of it's stores globally. Mainly because their 'Express' stores can't be as profitable as their Super Centers. Essentially offering fewer products, same overhead expense with 'competive pricing' doesn't work well unless you can move volume. In other words a failled experiment that I doubt Sam Walton would have ever approved.

I'm hoping Aldi's will take this opportunity to open some stores in those rural areas Walmart is closing stores in, that have enough traffic to support a basic market for limited competively priced staples.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby upallnight » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am

Most of the stores that are closing are with 10 miles of another Walmart. They over saturated Texas and are forced to close many because of it.
upallnight

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:55 pm

They have scrapped plans to build a bunch of new stores too... You can paint it any way you want, you can spin it any way you want, but the reality is the economy is in the toilet, and Obama, and congress put it there... There are two times you never wanna look down, one is walking a tightrope, and the other is when you're shining sunshine up your skirt... One will cause you to fall and the other will blind you then cause you to fall...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Cate McCalley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:44 pm

The stock market is due for a 10, maybe 20%. If bonds fall with it will take back what little recovery we've had.

The housing market prices are high and first time homebuyers haven't been to increase their income enough to afford payments for their first home, even if they have a steady job and income with a down payment. Mainly because the failed housing market has been bought up by foreign cash investors and hedge fund speculators at riduculously low prices, selling off 'hot' properties to those than can afford debt, while sitting on lower end properties to wait out the recession. This has left first time home buyers out in the cold, even though interest rates are riidculously low. The only way to remedy this would be for the government to offer incentives to spur new housing development. Which builders won't buy into having been burned by the last bubble. Or offer tax credit incentives to investors to get off the dime and lower prices on their housing stock that would make them affordable, without glutting the market, depressing prices so low it would kill the home construction industry off entirely. There's no non-risky solution to the present artificial housing bubble

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Demon Hunter » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 pm

Have you lost your mind Cate? Bill Clinton forced banks to lower their mortgage standards and then sold houses to poor people with no credit who couldn't afford them. If not for this disaster we would have never had the 2008 recession to deal with.
Demon Hunter

Postby Cate McCalley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Congress gutted the Glass Steigel Act during Clinton's last term. One of those 'reach across the aisle' deals. The housing bubble today hasn't been created by low interest rates and lax mortgage qualification standards. It’s been created by big investor greed demanding more profit from principal, pressing to get blood out of a turnip. Home ownership of the American Dream is no longer attainable. Rentals based on what you can afford is all that is left for the average Joe. That translates to an expansion of urban slumlords burdening the court system, and slower regentrification of large cities.

If you want to blame the government you have to point the finger to the U.S. 104th Congress, when both the House and Senate Majoritys were Republican.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby goat47 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 am

How ever you slice it up it falls on President Clintons lap. When you sign these laws as president you own them.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

goat47 wrote:How ever you slice it up it falls on President Clintons lap. When you sign these laws as president you own them.

I don't disagree one bit. This is likely one of the reasons we are seeing the rapid rise anti-establishment politics today. Too much compromise with corporate greed that overwhelms the average American with debt and obliteraties any hope to fulfill the American Dream.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:48 am

To quote the man who helped Bill Clinton get elected.

"It's the economy, stupid" James Carville

If I'm a Democrat candidate I want this man speaking for me.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby VoteMout » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 am

No new stores in D.C. because the city council plans on raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour.
VoteMout

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 am

VoteMout wrote:No new stores in D.C. because the city council plans on raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour.

I would say thats most def a unspoken factor.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby VoteMout » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:39 am

Sam Walton is turning over in his grave seeing how his kids have literally turned Walmart into everything that he would oppose of, such as replacing all of the "made in America" products with "made in China" products.
VoteMout

Postby Gopher » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 am

The way I see it, Walmart has no soul. Global corporations are all about money, money, money, they appeal to people's greed. One store is the same as the next, they all have the big box look and no personality. All the merchandise is made by faceless slave traders from Arkansas in faraway countries, it's all mass produced and there's no pride in workmanship involved, it is very impersonal. I prefer local ma and pa businesses, especially if they're located in old buildings with character. Something that reflects the personality of the proprietor. Walmart has none of this, it is an empty, meaningless, godless entity with no soul and crappy products.
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper

Postby Briscoe » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 am

nobody has any need to be as big as walmart. i don't want a "one world company" any more than i want a one world government. the little people should cut them down to size.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby goat47 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Briscoe wrote:nobody has any need to be as big as walmart. i don't want a "one world company" any more than i want a one world government. the little people should cut them down to size.

Both of them!
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Gossip