War on coal and poor people claims major casualty...

Post whatever gossip you might have heard. Please do not post personal attacks or comments that may be deemed slanderous.

Re: War on coal and poor people claims major casualty...

Postby Pappy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Wal mart closes 259 Stores and they all were theirs.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Don't like Walmart don't shop there. Don't like their policies don't work there.
Cornbread
Django

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:57 am

Gopher wrote:The way I see it, Walmart has no soul. Global corporations are all about money, money, money, they appeal to people's greed. One store is the same as the next, they all have the big box look and no personality. All the merchandise is made by faceless slave traders from Arkansas in faraway countries, it's all mass produced and there's no pride in workmanship involved, it is very impersonal. I prefer local ma and pa businesses, especially if they're located in old buildings with character. Something that reflects the personality of the proprietor. Walmart has none of this, it is an empty, meaningless, godless entity with no soul and crappy products.

It's nice to see someone with the same feelings that I have.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Gopher wrote:The way I see it, Walmart has no soul. Global corporations are all about money, money, money, they appeal to people's greed. One store is the same as the next, they all have the big box look and no personality. All the merchandise is made by faceless slave traders from Arkansas in faraway countries, it's all mass produced and there's no pride in workmanship involved, it is very impersonal. I prefer local ma and pa businesses, especially if they're located in old buildings with character. Something that reflects the personality of the proprietor. Walmart has none of this, it is an empty, meaningless, godless entity with no soul and crappy products.

It's nice to see someone with the same feelings that I have.

My warm fuzzy feeling for Walmart ended decades ago. Right after I realized all those aisle with the red, white and blue 'made in U.S.A' signs started disappearing, almost overnight.

Until recently I had to buy my medicine from their pharmacy, because of the generic $4.00 price. At the end of last school year, they were getting rid composition notebooks on sale for $.17 each. I bought everyone they had 152 total, kept a dozen and donated the rest to the local middle school last August. At least Walmart didn't get to sell 140 composition notebooks at 300% pure profit this year. If Walmart wasn't working the system over with their draconian part time employee policy, I might not feel such bitterness.

I know this kind of thing is petty of me. But still it gives me a little satisfaction to strike back in any legal way that I can. Their abuse of our welfare system to satisy that family's insatible greed is sickening.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Mtn_girl74 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:31 am

I am not sure how Walmart stays in business. I live in Western KY, and if you look at the court cases everyday, I would say that 75% of them deal with shoplifting at Walmart, and they are told to "stay out of Walmart". I am sure that gets enforced. LOL There was some poor guy who got caught shoplifting at the Dollar General and another at KMart. Now THAT is a sign of a bad economy! :)

Seriously...I avoid Walmart as much as possible. Their prices used to be the best, but I find that you can beat them if you spend a little time looking at other stores' ads. I actually do best with groceries at Kroger, and I use Dollar General, CVS, and Walgreens for items like paper towels, health and beauty, and cleaning supplies. I monitor the sale papers and coupons. Honestly, sometimes it is worth it to spend a dollar more just to avoid the people of Walmart. I am a proud Harlan County hillbilly, but my Mommy raised me not to leave home in my PJs! All of them are the same. The first of the month, there will be family caravans of shopping carts. The woman will bring every kid and every baby-daddy with her to fill up the carts. They buy things that I, nor any other working person, can afford. If someone is disabled or laid off, by all means, use the benefits you are given. Those are not the people I am talking about. If you can push a 250 lb cart, screaming at 6 kids all the way across the store, while talking on a cell phone and eating something you just picked up while you were shopping (and probably will hide the package before you check out), you are probably able to work, or, at the least, get dressed before you come to Walmart.

I am stepping off my soap box now...
Mtn_girl74

Postby Legion » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:04 pm

When people become so poor that they cannot afford to shop at Walmart it will signify the utter destruction of America's great economy.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby VoteMout » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:24 pm

There was a time when a knife was passed down from one generation to the next for a hundred years. Now, we just go buy a cheap one at Walmart every couple of years. It was the same with cast iron cookware, dishes, cutlery, etc. Even blankets, jackets, etc. So, what happens if, for whatever reason, China just decides to stop selling us crap? Maybe there's a conflict, maybe they just don't want the dollar. But, all the crap we have is designed to self destruct after a year or two. So what happens in five years, or ten years, without the cheap goods? It's time to get ready for a multi-generational depression. Because it's here.
VoteMout

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Well I would have to agree with that, but on the other hand what inanimate object does have a soul... Business is business, and people is people, and of the two I tend to trust business more than people. Businesses are created without souls, people sell theirs to the highest bidder... So with a business the expectation is lower...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Well if these freaking businesses don't have a soul, then they damn well sure shouldn't be given the status of a 'person'. Enjoying the same benefits of 'pesonage's', as was done with the Supreme Courts Citizen's United decision.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GoDan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:09 pm

Bitch about Walmart all you want, but it's one of the three things keeping this town afloat. The other two are the county school system, and government benefits.
GoDan

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:13 pm

GoDan wrote:Bitch about Walmart all you want, but it's one of the three things keeping this town afloat. The other two are the county school system, and government benefits.

You forgot the number one industry, and more than half of Harlan county's economy, the illegal drug trade...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Anybody else notice that WalMart's announcement closing almost 300 stores was followed two days later with their announcement they would increase their minimum pay scale... Conservatives see a loss, liberals are taking to the streets in celebration...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Walmart executives are taking the smallest step possible to clean up their bad corporate citizen image, developed over years of abusing the system. It's not enough.

The problem with Walmart is not that it's a big box chain efficent retailer meeting consumer demand for affordable goods, adding value to community tax bases.

The problem with Walmart is it's a big box chain set to monopolize community retail, while depressing employee wages and eliminating benefits with their part time employee policy. It's not that Walmart cannot afford to pay higher wages or move to normal percentages of it's competitors use of part time help during seasonal demands. Obviously a small wage hike was easy enough to do. They could do more, except for the family's greed.

Five of Walmart's family excutives received $18 Billion each in profits for 2014 fiscal year. Those profits were largely made by their part time employee policy, that puts part timers eligible to receive tax payer funded benefits such as TANF, SNAP and Medicaid. These profits were also made by abusing American safety nets intended to keep families with a bad break afloat, until they could recover. They were made by exploiting what amounts to human slavery in China and Indonesia where children are put to work in primative factories, without respect to their health and safety. Aside from putting a burden on charitable institutions around the world, taking resources away from people that are needy and unable to work, charitable food pantrys, etc. Walmart is no longer the symbol of American ingenuity for retail effciency and innovation. Walmart has become a prime example of a bad Corporate Citizen, both domestically and internationally.

Costco, Walmart's competitor of Walmart's Sam Club, uses full time employees, pays them full time benefits and offers an average wage of $20.00 an hour. Their entry level positions start at a minimum of $12.00 an hour up tp $16.00 depending on the region.

Walmart owes something back to this country besides disposable planned consumerism, priced to kill off competition. That's not what capitalism is about. That's what monopolization is about. The arch enemy of Capitalism. If one truly values Capitalism and the opportunity to better life through hard work and innovation, bad Corporate Citizens must be viewed and dealt with for what they are, a threat and stumbling block to a healthy economy. Too much power in any sector leaves the door wide open for abuse.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:42 pm

We be sum Po Foos up in here.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby upallnight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am

I figured you all would cheer. Everyone always complained that Wal-Mart destroyed to many jobs and Mom and Pop businesses... So wouldn't this closure be a good thing?
upallnight

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Gossip