Matt Bevin's Budget Highlights

(LINKS ONLY)War of Terror, Iraq, illegal immigration, gun control, gay marriage and abortion.

Re: Matt Bevin's Budget Highlights

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 am

We have a nice feud going on.

Beshear says Bevin is abusing authority as governor

http://harlandaily.com/news/9140/beshear-says-bevin-is-abusing-authority-as-governor
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Legion » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Nothing ever gets done when you have a pissing contest.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Well...Governor Bevins is doing something:

He deleted the mandate in the budget that $1.75 million each year be spent on enhancing education technology in coal-producing counties. His reason? "While this program has benefited a number of school districts in the coal regions, it is time to review its effectiveness and ongoing necessity," he said.

So...there. ’ya go. Erbody knows Appalachia's kids don't need no stinking education technology. Why heck! They don't need schoolin' at all. All they need is MSM and their parents telling them which names to check in the voting booth.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby upallnight » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:36 am

Some things just don't make the cut when working within a budget. I want a nice new Ford F150 with the aluminum frame, but I can't afford it so I won't be getting one.
upallnight

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:02 am

upallnight wrote:Some things just don't make the cut when working within a budget. I want a nice new Ford F150 with the aluminum frame, but I can't afford it so I won't be getting one.

You wouldn't cut your phone service if you knew your phone was vital to gainful employment in the labor market, right?

Cutting $1.75 annually from the school system that depends on technology to prepare students to compete fairly in a labor market driven by technology, is about the cruelest thing I can imagine.

While other States (northern particularily) spend a large portion of their educational K - 12 budgets on technology, Kentucky cuts it's budget.

How will students graduating and pursuing higher education that haven't had access to technology as it develops, compete with students that are exposed and trained to use the latest technology in their fields of study? The short answer is they won't.

Businesses that locate in the south bring their own qualified people, or they import them from other parts of the country. They're not about to train employees when the labor market offers them trained ones.

I know for a fact that northern school systems have been focused on expanding Whiteboard teaching methods for a couple of decades now. These school districts don't purchase text books, nor do they need traditional supplies like paper, pencils, etc. They have invested in classroom Whiteboards, and eqipped every student desk with a state of the art computer. Classroom instruction, tests and grading are all computerized. Parents can track how well their child has done on a test using the internet, within an hour of the student's exam. Students and parents have access to every student assignment, test result and instructor comment. Students have access to an entire world of knowledge using the technology brought to the classroom via the world wide web.

It makes me sad to know there are so many very bright kids in Kentucky who will never get the opportunity to compete fairly. Simply because politicians chose to keep them disadvantaged.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
upallnight wrote:Some things just don't make the cut when working within a budget. I want a nice new Ford F150 with the aluminum frame, but I can't afford it so I won't be getting one.

You wouldn't cut your phone service if you knew your phone was vital to gainful employment in the labor market, right?

Cutting $1.75 million annually from the school system that depends on technology to prepare students to compete fairly in a labor market driven by technology, is about the cruelest thing I can imagine.

While other States (northern particularily) spend a large portion of their educational K - 12 budgets on technology, Kentucky cuts it's budget.

How will students graduating and pursuing higher education that haven't had access to technology as it develops, compete with students that are exposed and trained to use the latest technology in their fields of study? The short answer is they won't.

Businesses that locate in the south bring their own qualified people, or they import them from other parts of the country. They're not about to train employees when the labor market offers them trained ones.

I know for a fact that northern school systems have been focused on expanding Whiteboard teaching methods for a couple of decades now. These school districts don't purchase text books, nor do they need traditional supplies like paper, pencils, etc. They have invested in classroom Whiteboards, and eqipped every student desk with a state of the art computer. Classroom instruction, tests and grading are all computerized. Parents can track how well their child has done on a test using the internet, within an hour of the student's exam. Students and parents have access to every student assignment, test result and instructor comment. Students have access to an entire world of knowledge using the technology brought to the classroom via the world wide web.

It makes me sad to know there are so many very bright kids in Kentucky who will never get the opportunity to compete fairly. Simply because politicians chose to keep them disadvantaged.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cornbread » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:02 pm

We need more money pumped into the high schools. They aren't graduating students who aren't ready for a four year university.
Cornbread
Django

Previous

Return to General Politics (Links Only)